Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rohloff 142x12mm in 145mm QR dropouts?
  • thecaptain
    Free Member

Got a bit of an oddball situation here. We have a full suspension tandem with 145mm QR rear spacing. Want to get a Rohloff, which is normally 135mm QR but rumour has it a 142mm x 12 bolt-through version is in the works. I don’t think the 142-145mm difference in width is enough to worry about (could probably use a couple of mm of spacers and/or asymmetry if necessary) but my dropouts are of course the standard rear QR type. Also, I need some way of handling the hub torque. I’m wondering if it might be reasonable to drill out the current dropouts to fit the fatter 12mm axle, and maybe even cut flats for the torque (I think that is how the OEM rohloff dropout works, though I’ve not seen it in the flesh). The current dropouts are huge aluminium things, there’s plenty of metal there.

If it all goes wrong, the back-up plan is a new rohloff-specific tandem anyway so the risk isn’t huge.

(As for why rohloff, we are sick of mud and chainsuck, we already have another rohloff tandem and it’s working well for us. But it’s a hardtail.)

emanuel
    Free Member

why not use a 135 12mm axle and machine some spacers. or use some washers.
    then use the disc mount as a torque stop.

STATO
    Free Member

The 142mm option is a bit of a weird bodge, so to further bodge could make for an odd fit. The way everyone else seems to do it (from a quick google) is to use a bolt on version of the rohloff with the extra long disc side axle stub and some washers.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thecaptain
    Free Member

Hi Stato, can you point me to what you found? I have googled but the fu is weak for me.

bencooper
    Free Member

I did one for TJ, ex of this parish, by turning a solid axle OEM plate into a QR one with a 10mm spacer. It does mean you need a spacer for the disc caliper too, and the wheel ends up slightly dished.

Other option is to get medieval on the rear triangle and respace it to 135mm – 145mm is only really to reduce the dishing on a derailleur wheel anyway.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Really Ben? Would you do it again? I’d bite your hand off for something like that. Was it also for his Ventana or something else? Not sure about respacing the triangle – I’d rather get a pro to do that than have a go myself.

Not worried about dish, back when we got the frame 145mm was a bit of a thing for tandems but it seems that everyone gets on fine with 135mm these days (certainly with 26″ MTB wheels and beefy rims).

bencooper
    Free Member

Sure – though I should point out that Rohloff don’t strictly approve of it.

Trailseeker
    Free Member
    STATO
    Free Member

I just googled ‘Rohloff 145mm tandem’ and loads of discussion come up.

Doing it again its changed slightly (due to this post!) but the top one is this, which is the mod ben did that he talks about.

Otherwise ive read of people use this longer axle plate, with a spacer.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Wow, I had always assumed that other search engines would be roughly equivalent to google. It seems not. TJ’s post is top hit for me on google but Duckduckgo didn’t find any of that stuff. Thanks!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rohloff 142x12mm in 145mm QR dropouts?’ is closed to new replies.