Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Rogue Trader plumber has pissed me off, suggestions for best revenge?
  • fettling
    Free Member

Our shower wasn’t working this morning. Phoned a local plumber before going to work and left my wife with strict instructions;
    “If it’s going to cost more than £40 for the part give me a call”
    I had also asked the guy to quote for some additional work, down pipe repair, moving our mains stopcock and replacing bathroom taps.

My wife calls me about 3pm to tell me the diagnosis. Turns out the plumber is scared of dogs (our Greyhound was more scared of him), also our little boy was really upset just looking at him. Plumber suggests he can do the lot for 4 hours labour (85ph) plus parts (£80 for new shower etc..). I said to my wife it sounded reasonable we should go for it as I will never get round to doing it myself so we agreed for the him to do the work on Thursday. Just before hanging up my wife said “He said the shower was probably broken because we never turn it off at the isolator”. A bit odd I thought, not really a likely reason for failure.

On returning home this evening it transpires he diagnosed a broken shower on sight, saying the heating element was broken. He only took the cover off to find out what wattage it was for the replacement. On seeing the shower he also said “I don’t like electric showers, because the pressure reduces as you turn the temperature up”
    Also my wife (usually a very good judge of character) felt VERY uneasy about him.

Not 100% convinced I read the instruction manual for our shower. Fault diagnosis table in the back says water flowing but no heat > clean inlet filter as a 1st step. It took me literally 30mins to turn off the water to the shower (in the loft) and clean the inlet filter. Job done working shower!

So obviously I am not keen for this guy to do any work for us now. Not sure if he is trying to rip us off or just lazy or incompetent. If only I hadn’t sold those old Bombers.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Just tell him you’ve put it off and be thankful you’ve Sussed him out.

nealglover
    Free Member

Ring him up, tell him you have fixed the shower yourself for £0.00 and without being a plumber.

and as such, you don’t trust him to do the rest of the work.

Simple really.

(He sounds hopeless, be thankful he won’t be coming round again)

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Picolax

cynic-al
    Free Member

What Neal said.

soobalias
    Free Member

phone him, tell him the shower seems fine this evening and that you will be in touch about the other work when you decide to do it.

TheBrick
    Free Member

No need for revenge. Just tell him there is no need any more.

hora
    Free Member

Always always get quotes not a quote

wrightyson
    Free Member

Rogue **** washing machine repair man has pissed me off. Wouldn’t drain the other month so called mrs called him out. I told her to keep an eye on him. Apparently she didn’t he “changed a part” and charged us 60 quid. Same thing last week, the part I changed was taking the **** 20 p piece out the pump filter thingy! 👿

warton
    Free Member

also our little boy was really upset just looking at him

johndoh
    Free Member

Rogue **** washing machine repair man has pissed me off. Wouldn’t drain the other month so called mrs called him out. I told her to keep an eye on him. Apparently she didn’t he “changed a part” and charged us 60 quid. Same thing last week, the part I changed was taking the **** 20 p piece out the pump filter thingy!

£60 call out seems fair enough.

daveh
    Free Member

Did I read that right, £85 per hour labour? Is that considered normal?

wrightyson
    Free Member

No call out fee apparently. It’s the part bit that grated me and he was more than happy to go cash.

mudshark
    Free Member

I ended up not paying this guy who tried to charge me £80 and not solving my problem – main issue was trying to charge me for 90 mins when only with me working for 60. Dodgyness is the norm for some.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/plumber-costs

winston_dog
    Free Member

85ph? He is taking the piss!

For a 10 hr day = £850!

I’m sorry but that ridiculous!

nealglover
    Free Member

It’s the part bit that grated me and he was more than happy to go cash.

How do you know it was the same problem the second time ?

The same symptom can be caused by two different issues.

First time the pump could have gone, or something else needed replacing, second time there was 20p stuck in there.

You will never know obviously.

Personally, I’d be more angry with myself for not checking the obvious things before shelling out for someone else to look at it.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Not 100% convinced I read the instruction manual for our shower. Fault diagnosis table in the back says water flowing but no heat > clean inlet filter as a 1st step. It took me literally 30mins to turn off the water to the shower (in the loft) and clean the inlet filter. Job done working shower!

Lesson learnt !

Hurrah !

RTFB !

Hurrah !!!

lightman
    Free Member

He said the shower was probably broken because we never turn it off at the isolator”

In fairness, he probably is right there (I know that wasn’t the issue with yours though, but could be eventually).
    After my isolator switch broke while it was on, I just left it as everything seemed fine, about 6months to a year latter, my shower started grumbling and then spiting out water every few hours and it seemed like it was on it way out, so I have now put a new switch in and make sure it get switched off.

Cougar

Really?

I don’t think I’ve ever switched mine off at the isolator in the, what, three years I’ve had it.

Is this the same sort of ‘accepted wisdom’ that had my grandparents unplugging the TV before going to bed every night? Because TVs tend to explode when left alone in the dark, I could only surmise.

gears_suck
    Free Member

After my isolator switch broke while it was on, I just left it as everything seemed fine, about 6months to a year latter, my shower started grumbling and then spiting out water every few hours and it seemed like it was on it way out, so I have now put a new switch in and make sure it get switched off.

The isolator is there to allow “isolation” of the the appliance should a fault develop.
    These are called, “safety features.”
    Believe it or not, you put yourself and who ever else uses the shower at great risk by not replacing a faulty switch.
    It’s more likely the shower failed due planned obsolescence rather than the switch fault. However, high powered electric appliances filled with water should be inspected regularly and if needed, serviced. Any fault should be rectified at the earliest opportunity. Not after it’s melted.
    Note to self. Never buy anything off lightman.

alanl
    Free Member

Mmm, how often does a shower catch fire?
    There is usually no need to fit an isolating switch, as you already have one at your consumer unit / fusebox. It may be sensible to fit one, but not mandatory.

As for not turning the isolator off causing a fault, what utter rubbish.

gears_suck
    Free Member

What?

andyl
    Free Member

Unless there is a fan triggered by the shower isolator I never turn it off. all you are going to do is cause the switch to go faulty.

Another common fault is the stop solenoid which sometimes blow so the shower won’t turn on. Cheap to buy and easy to change.

and 4 hours labour to change a shower? I thought you were going to say he was fitting a thermostatic mixer shower when I read that. Electric showers have to be on of the easiest plumbing jobs ever. Pretty much just one feed pipe, 2 rawl plugs to secure and wire up. It’s a half hour job if you are allowed to do it (special area for regs).

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

It may be sensible to fit one, but not mandatory.

Electrical regs say follow the manufacturer’s instructions.

So if the shower’s instructions say ‘fit an isolator’, then it is mandatory.

Only a complete bodger would omit one. IMO, etc.

alanl
    Free Member

Yes, manufacturers instructions apply, if they don’t say you need one, there is no need for one.

BS7671 calls for a point of isolation. That is satisfied by the circuit breaker.

nealglover
    Free Member

and 4 hours labour to change a shower?

Where does it say 4 hours to change a shower ?

He said the shower was probably broken because we never turn it off at the isolator”
    In fairness, he probably is right there (I know that wasn’t the issue with yours though, but could be eventually).

He’s not.

Not even close.

No more than isolating your mains supply while on holiday would make your light bulbs last longer.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Rogue Trader plumber has pissed me off, suggestions for best revenge?’ is closed to new replies.