Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Roe Deer Stag (Video)
  • redthunder
    Free Member

Caught this guy on video whilst out on a local ride.

Jumper little bugger. I had a red coat on and didn’t move much, I reckon he couldn’t see me properly and I was about 10 yards away.

To him I must of been like a Predator to Arnie.

[video]https://youtu.be/tS1Zpzmo3KA[/video]

maccruiskeen

Consider it a lucky escape. Red deer are often farmed because they can be tamed/domesticed. Roe deer aren’t farmed because if they lose their fear of humans they just kick the shit out of them instead. He might look cute but all he was thinking about was giving you a propper hoofing in the slats.

redthunder
    Free Member

I reckon I could of had him in a fight……mayby 😉

Unless it was a zombie deer.

cinnamon_girl

Aw, that was nice. Thank you for posting and of course it is a buck. Interesting that although he has his Summer coat his face still has the old grey hue. Beautiful animals. 🙂

ninfan
    Free Member

of course it is a buck.

Oh, CG, you can probably guess how much a Cervidae purist like me appreciates you picking up on that 😀

I honestly think that Roe are the most majestic animals in the British countryside, can’t get enough of them. I recall lying up at the edge of a field and being surrounded by half a dozen within a stones throw, remarkable animals.

cinnamon_girl

Oh, CG, you can probably guess how much a Cervidae purist like me appreciates you picking up on that

Cheers ninfan. 😀 Any idea why its face was still grey?

‘Majestic’ indeed, couldn’t agree more!

cinnamon_girl

Just to add that tonight on BBC2 was a new series called Highlands – Scotland’s Wild Heart. A doe and her fawn were featured as well as some stonking shots of an osprey catching a rather large fish.

Worth catching on i-player.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Nice one! Wish I’d had a GoPro a couple of weeks ago when 2 Fallow Deer trotted across the road 5 yards in front of me near Staveley.

Just to add that tonight on BBC2 was a new series called Highlands – Scotland’s Wild Heart. A doe and her fawn were featured as well as some stonking shots of an osprey catching a rather large fish.

Worth catching on i-player.

This series is my favourite & Ewan McGregor does a top job with narration.

cinnamon_girl

Fallow deer are less intimidated and great when you can get very close to them.

My criticism about the program is the music, I want to hear the sound of the water or the wind as well as birds cheeping. The music just drowns it all out but it seems to be a regular feature these days on all sorts of programs.

redthunder
    Free Member

I’ll tweak the name to buck. Learn something new every day.

As for colour, could be a juvanile buck. It’s antlers do not seem to have many points.

cinnamon_girl

It looks fairly leggy so could be a juvenile. This month roe will be rutting so he was probably on the prowl!

redthunder
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/KPkAvf]Roe Deer Buck[/url] by SGMTB, on Flickr

cinnamon_girl

So cute! Have checked my roe deer bible and apparently age has no correlation with size of antlers as they regrow each year.

ninfan
    Free Member

it doesn’t, but there are differences based on shape and pearling, but its all very area specific.

I would concur on that probably being a youngster, likely a yearling buck.

fantastic hitler moustache there 😀

mattsccm
    Free Member

A Roe buck wandered across my path as I was quietly walking through the woods about 100 yards from home on Thursday. It seemed rather disinterested to be honest. Moved out of my path by 30 yards and stood and watched me. So much more subtle than the bloody boar who act like a bunch of teenagers.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Roe Deer Stag (Video)’ is closed to new replies.