Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rode with Switchbacks in Bubion. But has anyone ridden with them in Malaga ?
  • burmaboy
    Free Member

Hi all. I rarely post on here so helloo to y’all.

I rode with switchbacks in sierra nevada a month ago and was very impressed with the riding. Thinking about a week in December. But I’ve heard the trails they ride in their winter spot are a bit more DH?

I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with the trails in Malaga. I don’t mind dh but I prefer more all mouuntain style riding.

Whilst I’m on the subject here is a vid I made trying to Pin it behind Wes ( the guide at switch backs). My favourite trail from the trip.

https://youtu.be/DzFxQ1ctG5M

julians
    Free Member

I’ve ridden with them in bubion, and I’ve ridden some of the trails they use around Malaga,but not with them.

The trails are probably fine, it’s the other riders you might end up with that’d concern me,ie I reckon they’d be loads quicker than me on those sorts of trails, especially if they’re on dh bikes and you’re on your trail bike. I’d worry about being too slow.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve heard the trails they ride in their winter spot are a bit more DH?

Depends on your perception of DH.

The actual trails themselves are mostly smoother but sandier and steeper. There are however jumps/drops of varying sizes from “bigger than anything on a trail centre black run” to “pass the binoculars I can’t see the landing”. There are chicken runs around them, but you’d get ore out of it if you could do the gaps as I pretty much dropped off the back of the group as soon as we went past the first jump and I had to peel off the main line.

Speak to Mike, he was posting on Facebook a few weeks ago about doing enduro weeks in Malaga. And when I went some of the trails were more like Bubion (longer, with a bit of pealing) so it is something you can do (just needs a bus full of people who want those kind of trails).

My only gripe (other than breaking my arm on day 3 and spending the rest of the week reading a book) was discovering I don’t actually like uplifts so much, I quite like a big day out in the hills!

I wouldn’t worry about bike choice, I was on a Pitch and survived. As I said, it’s not the rocks that get you, it’s the steepness, loose surface and jumps.

burmaboy
    Free Member

Thanks @julians. I’ll bare that In mind.

@thisisnotaspoon – For me DH is anything that means a lift or push to the top everytime. i’ll ride supertech descents and very rarely say no to a gap (luckily grew up riding dirt). Just hate being put in a van every 10 minutes.

I’ll have a chat with Mike. Didnt realise he did enduro in Malaga.

Thanks people!

Bream
    Free Member

I organised a trip out there with a few guys a few years ago, was very well taken care of and they adjusted the riding to our skill level and wishes. Wouldn’t hesitate going back if I could.

Even did a bit of a write about it HERE

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

If you’re confident on gaps then you’l love the tracks.

This is pretty typical of the tracks, although I remember it being steeper and smoother, and the step-ups off the road had enough G-force to hurt my back!

[video]https://youtu.be/–z6BCnCnEw[/video]

burmaboy
    Free Member

haha, thats one of my best friends Anna.

julians
    Free Member

Thats the track from the top of the cable car in benalmedina, its great fun, we spent a day just going up in the cable car and down that track a few years ago.

burmaboy
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/nRq4JuhIH94[/video]

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rode with Switchbacks in Bubion. But has anyone ridden with them in Malaga ?’ is closed to new replies.