Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rode the Yorkshire TDF stage 1 on Saturday :)
  • BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Rode with 50-60 others from my road club.

Group got split by traffic lights in Ilkley and I did 20 miles on my own between Kettlewell and Hawes (in my head i was Jens Voigt breaking away).

Great route, friendly cafe folk along the way (especially Muker), suffered the last 20 miles but if anyone is thinking of doing it Its brilliant!

https://www.strava.com/activities/70219368

SkillWill
    Free Member

Nice! Looks like a proper ride that.

br
    Free Member

Group got split by traffic lights in Ilkley

And really shows the difference between MTBing and Roadie-ing…

martinhutch

Goes past my front door, pretty much – but was plotting to head up to the climb out of Buckden on the day (or night before…).

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Tour de Ferret?

tomhoward

Tour de Ferret?

Nah, t’Tour.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

🙂
    EDIT: so “t’T” then, eh lad?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We waterski at SemerWater near Hawes and travel up from Skipton, thru kettlewell, Buckden, Aysgarth etc There have been loads of weekend cyclists and groups of cyclists on that narrow twisty road all this summer, masses more than usual, been a bit of a nightmare TBH, I bet a few have been knocked off.

zilog6128

been a bit of a nightmare

are you moaning that their unnecessary leisure activity is impacting on your unnecessary leisure activity? 😀

brakes
    Free Member

interesting, that looks tough, I might be doing it at the end of August.
    I did that distance last week, but with half the climbing.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

We had no one knocked off but one came off at 40mph descending off Buttertubs and hit a dry stone wall……and walked away 8O.

I think you’ve got a point about the volume of traffic B.A.Nana and it was probably a good thing we split up but even then there were sections where cars couldn’t pass despite us lining out.

Add the fact that several parts of the route are popular with sports bikers/fast drivers and its likely a matter of time before there’s an accident, locals all very friendly and happy to see us though, especially little village stores

rickt
    Free Member

Group got split by traffic lights in Ilkley and I did 20 miles on my own between Kettlewell and Hawes

That’s roadies for ya, always a race…

m1kea
    Free Member

I thought oop norf was supposed to be hilly? 😉 😛

3500 more feet in 23 less miles

Only joking as a couple of those climbs look proper steep.

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

That looks like a cool ride m1kea 😯 non of the climbs were shocking want to call your mum hard, the second stage looks much tougher, 10000 feet on that. There’s talk of that being ridden next month but there’s a lot of busy A road involved and not sure a group of 60 on them is the best idea

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Rode the Yorkshire TDF stage 1 on Saturday :)’ is closed to new replies.