Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Rode a hardtail last night for the first time in ages. Wow….
  • glenh
    Free Member

….that was awful.

Uncomfortably, rattly and really slow through the rocks.
    You can keep them.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Ohh, this could be interesting. Biscuit anyone?

wors

Tea or coffee?

wwaswas

*lights touch paper*

Some people do put to much reliance on the skills compensation that full suspension gives them.

It’s always a shock when they find what the bike was doing for them.

trailmonkey

Ohh, this could be interesting

or it could be just like the other 4581854 face palmer threads that have broached the subject.

meehaja
    Free Member

A bike is neither fast nor slow. A bike is an inanimate object.

A rider is fast or slow.

So, your thread should read…

….that was awful.

I found it uncomfortable as my bum is too soft, rattly as it was badly put together and I’m really slow through the rocks without 6 inches of skill compensator.

Thanks, I’ll keep mine!

😉

spooky_b329

Fixed up my Explosif after a year languishing in the shed as my shock has been at Mojo…

My full sus is a 575 so climbs like a goat, but I’d forgotten how much the hardtail just wants to bound forwards with minimum effort. Lovely…its been promoted back into the house with the ‘proper’ bikes 🙂

curlie467
    Free Member

I just dont feel the need to go absolutely balls out everywhere, my hardtail is fine for what i do, hell, it even has v-brakes!

ampthill

I never learnt the skill to avoid be jolted around.

Been back on my HT for the last week

Great on the road though

LoCo
    Free Member

Funnily enough I was missing my hardtail yesterday, as the second proper ride on the new full sus. the brand new and untouched by me I might add rear shock blew the damper nitro seal and decided to chuck me over the bars into a tree at the end of a long downhill 😳

Full strip and investigation pending 😀

MentalMickey
    Free Member

Everything is good, HT/FS/Rigid/flats/Spd’s/Alu/Steel/Carbon/SS/Fixie/Helmets/NonHelm ets/Tandems/Trikes/FitBikers/FatBikers/Cake/NutCutlet/Bacon/IckleWheels/ClownWheels.

End of thread. 😉

wwaswas

Tandoms

End of thread.

not for us pedants…

davidjey
    Free Member

This is just a mirror image of this thread surely:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/never-ridden-a-full-suspension

Everyone can save time by just posting the exact opposite of what they said there. I didn’t comment til page 4 so I’ll wait my turn nicely.

Alternatively lets just get glenh and hammy7272 to fight 😉

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Quite a few people don’t seem to understand this:

A bike is neither fast nor slow. A bike is an inanimate object.

yunki
    Free Member

this is the real deal… anything else is just dressing up in your mum’s clothes and dancing around the bedroom to abba..

LoCo
    Free Member

what’s he dropped?

falkirk-mark

Half a bike

mudmonster
    Free Member

All these downhillers must be rubbish riders with their 9″ skill compensators.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

….that was awful…rattly and really slow through the rocks.

You’ll get better with practice. Keep at it. 😉

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Dunno, some of them seem to manage fine with just 6″ up front.

wwaswas

probably not but then, equally, they might not blame the bike if their normal technique didn’t work on a hardtail?

DezB
    Free Member

It’s always a shock when they find what the bike was doing for them.

Always a shock! I see what you did there. Nice one 😆

(but a load of bollox, if you don’t mind me saying)

TheDoctor
    Free Member

You can’t blame the OP, the sudden shock of realising they aren’t as good on a bike as they thought was obviously too much 😉

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Uncomfortably, rattly and really slow through the rocks.

Don’t be so hard on yourself. Just keep practising…

EDIT is that an echo? Sorry, should have read the other posts first!

wwaswas

(but a load of bollox, if you don’t mind me saying)

I did try and indicate I wasn’t wholly serious by putting the bit about the blue touch paper.

Having said that – FS will get you out of trouble that a hardtail wouldn’t, in my experience.

adstick
    Free Member

Conversely an FS can get you into trouble much quicker than a hardtail.

I don’t get the hardtail bravado on here, I suspect a lot of it comes from plodders trying to big themselves up.

All bikes are great after all, ride what you like.

mboy
    Free Member

I don’t get the hardtail bravado on here, I suspect a lot of it comes from plodders trying to big themselves up.

Some hardtails are great, some are rubbish, some suit a particular type of rider, and some are pretty easy for just about anyone to get on and ride ok with.

BUT… The simple fact of the matter is that with a hardtail, you’ve got a lot less to go wrong. I love my full sus bike don’t get me wrong, but it’s the hardtail that gets ridden through the winter muck and comes out without gritty pivot bearings… That and I’ve got quite a nice hardtail that rides very nicely too.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I took my Boardman HT out on Saturday and scared myself “sessioning” an awkward 90 degree corner straight down into a narrow rocky, rooty steep chute – required several run-ups and partial attempts resulting in a bleeding, scabby leg and elbow. But I cracked it.

I took my souped-up Giant TranceX out yesterday and did the same section without a flicker of fear. This is the problem with that bike – it flatters my competence-level too much sometimes.

palmer77
    Free Member

or it could be just like the other 4581854 face palmer threads that have broached the subject.

trailmonkey – you talkin’ to me???

joolsburger
    Free Member

I’m doing some popcorn with butter, anyone?? Have a nice pot of Darjeeling on the go.

Increasingly I have come to a conclusion, many, many people are better than me on a bike be it FS, HT or rigid SS so I have asked why I ride a FS bike.

Because that’s what I wanted. I’m lazy and my arse appreciates it seems to be the only justifications. So there it is comfy arse and no need to stand when I’m knackered – Hooray for FS..

donsimon
    Free Member

What the F*** is a FS?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What the F*** is a FS?

Fung Shui – it’s like mojo for the middle classes.

DezB
    Free Member

I did try and indicate I wasn’t wholly serious by putting the bit about the blue touch paper

I guess that really.
    Sometimes is hard to tell when a post is serious and when not. Mine never are. Except when they are.

MY FS got me out of trouble once. My stupid HT just looked on like there was nothing it could do about it. The git

ampthill

I took my Boardman HT out on Saturday and scared myself “sessioning” an awkward 90 degree corner straight down into a narrow rocky, rooty steep chute – required several run-ups and partial attempts resulting in a bleeding, scabby leg and elbow. But I cracked it.

I took my souped-up Giant TranceX out yesterday and did the same section without a flicker of fear. This is the problem with that bike – it flatters my competence-level too much sometimes.

?
    So the hard tail was the problem here

But its your weekend and i’m glad you enjoyed it

I do agree that when it goes wrong on FS it can be at higher speed

scotsman
    Free Member

Usual drivel i’m afraid 🙄

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

So the hard tail was the problem here

Errr no; there is no problem. I’m just saying that the HT shows-up some of my shabby cycling technique.

If there is a problem at all, it’s that my FS makes a lot of XC trails not challenging enough. Being slightly scared is fun.

mattbee

I found that my local trails just felt too tame on my 5″ full sus. Riding them on the V braked, 45mm travel hardtail I have built up now makes them so much more fun. I’m sure that I’ll be building the full sus up again after my next trip to somewhere ‘bigger’ though. I’ve been swinging from one to the other for 17 years so far, I doubt it will stop.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Rode a hardtail last night for the first time in ages. Wow….’ is closed to new replies.