Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rocksmith on Xbox- anybody use it and is it any good?
  • kayla1
    Free Member

I’m stuck in a pentatonic noodley rut and want a way to get out of it. Is Rocksmith worth a go?

wukfit
    Free Member

Is this for the 360 or xbone?
    I tried it a few years ago (360) and wasn’t over keen on it as a way of learning. I think it had something to do with the speed and struggled to go back to replay a section I’d made mistakes in
    I’d probably give it another go, but have pretty much concluded I don’t have the dexterity for guitar

kayla1
    Free Member

The new ‘2014’ 360 version. I can play a bit already, I’m just stuck in a rut.

wukfit
    Free Member

I’ve got the previous one and cable in storage somewhere, I won’t be able to look for it till next but if you want it you can have it
    You’ll need to email or text me Monday/Tuesday to remind me though

zer0cool
    Free Member

Id give it a go if I had a console for a bit of fun, but I dont have one anymore.
    If you havent already, check out Justinguitar and Marty Schwartz on youtube. Great tuition for any level from those two.

Northwind

I found it interesting… Quite succesfully gamified practice and got me out of a long rut, much like you describe. You absolutely need to have songs you want to play so I ended up buying a fair amount of DLC (not sure how that works now, they included a load more stuff with the pc version after a while)

Buuuut, I found it a bit flawed. I’m a reasonable guitarist, not good nor terrible but a lot of songs had sudden huge hikes in difficulty- they start out with a stripped down version of the song then add in complexity/accuracy but a pretty high proportion went from “no bother” to “frustrating” in one jump, and the interface isn’t great so rewinding or trying parts over and over is way harder than it should be.

Likewise with the modelling- now to be fair, I have a good modelling amp so I’m a harsh judge but the issue for me was just that tweaking things was too clanky to be fun- I never found myself thinking “let’s throw some noises together and see what happens” like I do with my Vox.

It’s a very clever toy though, and I do like it. I don’t think it was really that succesful as a sole tuition device but that’s not really what I wanted from it anyway

plumber
    Free Member

very good on many levels but shouldn’t be your only source of instruction

kayla1
    Free Member

Hi Wukfit, thanks very much for the offer but I bought the 2014 game + cable last night before I saw your post.

Thanks to you others for answering. I’ve been able to play* since I was 18 or so but never had lessons or anything and it’s only recently, like the last few years, that I’ve bothered to try and learn scales and stuff and now I find myself in the pentatonic rut. I also love terrible music and would like to make a few more metally sounding noodles rather than the Dire Straitsy gumf that’s currently oozing from the amp 😆

* grind out a few chords in a row to approximate a known song.

edit- ooooh! Me new Vox VT20X has just arrived…

mattyfez

I had to mess about with the audio settings on my pc a fair bit, as due to all the processing, guitar to USB, to the software, to sound card, to hifi amp, there was a tiny annoying delay between striking a note and hearing it out of the speaker. But there’s info on the games forum if you have technical issues like that.

On the plus side there’s some cool mini games aimed at different scales and stuff, and there’s a lot of different simulated amps included that you can use if you just want to do your own thing using the games built in selection of customisable amps.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rocksmith on Xbox- anybody use it and is it any good?’ is closed to new replies.