Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rockshox Sid xx – worth the upgrade?
  • Zoolander
    Free Member

Hi
    Thinking of upgrading my forks . Currently have reba teams, 120mm and standard quick release. Am eying up some 120mm sid xx forks with 15mm maxle lite.
    Anyone used these SIDS who can comment on if it’s worth the upgrade, as there’s some good deals to be had on them it seams.
    Going to be used on a ss superlight for cross country and trail centre type stuff if this helps.

Ta.

Zoolander
    Free Member

Edit – should have read SC superlight ( it’s not singlespeed !)

convert

Do you really want the remote lockout? If so, they’re a good buy. If not you might want to look at the 120mm SID rlt ti at On One for £449 with 15mm maxle. I “think” the xx has a different motion control to the superb blackbox version on the rlt ti which is curiously closer to the motion control on the base model rlt version. It’s all marketing bollox though so difficult so see what it actually means in the real world!

Maxle vs normal QR…. Although I’m going for a maxle again for my new fork if you are a wheels on the ground type rider I’m not sure you really notice the difference and it will add back most of the differnce in weight between the SIDs and your existing fork.

In your situation, if the forks were still working fine unless you are desperate for a remote lockout I’d save your money.

IA

it will add back most of the differnce in weight between the SIDs and your existing fork.

You sure about this? I’m pretty sure the sums work out lighter on the thru axle forks.

Remember you have a bigger hole through your hub, so it’s a bit lighter, and no QR (The fork weights include the axle, QR fork weights don’t include a QR).

bikerbruce
    Free Member

nope theyre black box…the lock out is so superior its worth it and fork action is smooth as i have sid xx sid wc with carbon steerer sid xx wc with carbon all great forks

Zoolander
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice. The lockout is important for sure, use it a lot.
    Was wondering if the maxle would make a difference, or at least if it were noticeable. I’m not a wheels on the ground rider but not exactly going to be doing massive jumps or drops either (3 to 4 foot max is about my limit)
    Hmmm…

convert

nope theyre black box

You sure about that – Rockshox see xx and Blackbox as different see here. As I said, could all be marketing bollox.

I would say maxle is heavier and most websites seems to agree. Quoted weights for forks that swing both ways are always for the QR version with the maxle version 150-200g heavier when you ad the maxle too. A QR weights what, 80g? My Hope II hubs weight exactly the same in maxle and QR orientation but others might vary I guess. But its all small beer either way – I’m going for the maxle version of SID despite the extra weight for the placebo strength benefit even if I’m not sure I can really feel it!

njee20
    Free Member

It is different, by it’s nature, as it’s a hydraulic lockout not a cable. IMO unless you have huge issues with cable lockouts I wouldn’t bother.

Maxle forks are heavier than 9mm QRs, but are undeniably stiffer. I’d agree with the above and look at the RLT Ti unless you can get the XXs for a similar amount, or really want the hydraulic lockout, there’s no other difference!

The XXs are lighter than a Pushloc equipped fork, but heavier than with a crown mounted lockout, if that’s a consideration!

KT1973
    Free Member

I also have a SC superlight and I’m using reba teams with 20mm maxle lite and think they’re excellent. I have heard that the latest sids are much more rigid (which used to be a problem with them)

Zoolander
    Free Member

Cheers KT
    Think I’m going to go with them 🙂

ashfanman
    Free Member

I thought XX forks had totally different damping than the other blackbox forks, which is slightly less plush/controlled but lighter – more designed for racing than trail use? See here.

njee20
    Free Member

He’s right. All done to make it lighter. The trouble is that a MoCo damped fork with crown mounted lockout is lighter and better damped, so it’s totally about the lockout.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Sid xx – worth the upgrade?’ is closed to new replies.