Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • RockShox – shoddy products and you can't get spares
  • stumpyjon

Ranty rant time. My REBA forks are leaking oil again into the lowers 👿 I need a motion control service kit to sort it. TFtuned don't have any, Fishers don't have any and Fishers told my LBS it'll be 14th Oct before they have any (after failing to hit their original restock date of 14th Sept).

It's a common problem with RockShox forks (there's plenty of posts on forums about it and the guy at TFTuned said he'd seen the problem alot, in fact TFTuned have their own solution using some of their PUSH parts).

Why are Rockshox churning out forks with a known weakness and why on earth aren't they supplying the parts to correct it.

Not happy.

On the plus side both my LBS and TFTuned have been very helpful, just a shame they can't get me the parts either. Seems like I have seen two sides of the bike industry with the same problem.

Offroading
    Free Member

It's more an issue with Fishers importing parts…

They suck at it.

adstick
    Free Member

Which component exactly do you need? I might be able to help…

I agree about RS reliability. So many of the forks have plastic components and problems are common. Fox are much higher quality and more dependable. (Stands back and waits for millions of posters complaining about worn stanchions)

nuke

Total agree with you stumpy. My Pike forks were only 2 months old when they went with the same issue you described and, by the time they were back on my bike, it was nearly another 2 months. At least if they're not going to resolve the problem, they should make the necessary parts available.

…and while they're at it, resolve the issue of the leaking around the floodgate or, again, make the necessary parts available to fix that. 😡

BoardinBob

See these service kits, do they just basically contain o-rings? If so can't the o-rings be sourced elsewhere?

guido

Asked TF if they will sell you the Push part?

stumpyjon

Guido

They said they couldn't really as it's usually only uesd if they PUSH the forks although they will fit it for you if they service them.

adstick, I'm not 100% sure, to be honest I was just going to service them and replace all the parts. As I said TFTuned were really helpful, they actually suggested I could probably source the appropriate O ring from somewhere else, just not sure which one it is (I actually have a bumper selection pack of O rings anyway, just not sure if they are of the appropriate tolerance or material). So far my forks haven't started to leak from the floodgate (TFT have a fix for that as well). Think I'll service them myself assuming I can eventually get the service kit (TFT reckon they may get some next week in their bulk order direct from Rockshox) and then send them to TFT next year (My Fox TALAS forks are off to TFT next week so I can't afford to have the REBAs in as well).

billybob
    Free Member

You should try getting spares for my 07 marzocchi all mountain 3 forks… the rebound cartridge is broken (this apparently occasionally happens after servicing!) & they're on back order… they've been on back order for 5 months…

adstick
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure I know which seal is bust – You can't get full travel out of the fork bouncing on it (depending on how much oil has leaked) but if you lean on the fork it it sinks through the travel slowly? If that sounds about right I have the bit you need. Feel free to ring me tomorrow and I hope can help – 01273 697617.

stumpyjon

Main symptoms are loss of lockout and loss of travel, currently in the early stages, last time it happened travel dropped to about 20mm. Must admit haven't tried keeping the pressure on to see if they gradually sink.

I'll have a proper look at the service instructions over the weekend and try and work out which O ring it is. Already got an air serivce kit for the other leg (bought the wrong one earlier in the year), fancy giving them a full service and replace all the seals. Probably wait to see if TFT get their stock in next week, if not I may very well be ringing you, cheers for the help.

Ringo
    Free Member

id agree with this my 09 revs have been a lot of trouble to keep going but i thought id just been unlucky. i wont buy rockshox again

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Don't even start me. My Rebas spent 3 months – that's THREE MONTHS – at my LBS while they dicked about with Fishers and RockShox waiting to get a part in. The whole thing was a mix of poor communication and chronic stock holding – hugely unimpressed. They did fix it in the end, but it was such a hassle, but then what's the alternative? Pay silly money for Fox – that will still fail at some point, and still cost the earth, Marzocchi (ahem), Manitou…? You tell me.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Mine started leaking oil at the weekend (after a service) so I swapped the motion control unit from another spare set of forks and that one started leaking tonight!

Either I'm very unlucky or my oil syringe is telling me porkys and I'm over filling the fork.

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

just recieved my brand new 09 coil totems back after they literally spewed oil from the top of the mission control on the first day of riding.
    about to send my 08 revelations to tftuned for a service and to get pushed after they leaked oil to the lowers. now on half travel and no lockout. wondering how long they will take to come back…

oh and the 09 coil totems were bought because the seals on the 07 solo air totems went far earlier than expected and caused excessive stanchion wear…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I had the same problem with mine. The seal around the damper rod had gone (ie the inner one).

If you want to try a third party seal see this post for a possible source for O rings (note the seal measurements were for the air side – if you want the measurements for the damper side before you disassemble yours let me know) – although there wasnt a final conclusion to the thread:

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dual-air-reba-o-ring-size

Baznav
    Free Member

This is a known problem with the white nylon piston in the rebound side of the fork being machined too small so new o rings probably won't fix it you need the new piston.

stumpyjon

That makes sense in light of what the guy from TFT was saying, they had their own parts that would make a proper fix. Couldn't see it just being their own O ring. Pretty cr*p from Rockshox to be honest, it's a really common problem.

PJM1974
    Free Member

My Pike Airs are three years old and I had this problem a while back, basically the compression circuit seals aren't much cop. Anyway, I sent the fork back to TF and haven't had an issue since. IIRC TF spec a modified seal kit for the Motion Control that sorts it. I wouldn't be surprised if they're out of parts, seeing as it is a known issue with Rockshox forks.

Having said that, it's the only issue I've ever had with either of my Pikes (one coil, one air) in three and a half years.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘RockShox – shoddy products and you can't get spares’ is closed to new replies.