Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rockshox Sektor coil servicing question
  • whereisthurso
    Free Member

I’ve just changed the spring in my dual position 150/120 fork. While doing so I removed the lower legs so have put them back together adding the correct amount and type of oil to each lower leg. The rockShox manual says that oil is required in the top of the drive side leg (the one with the compression adjuster knob). The question is, if I have not touched the compression assembly will I need to change or add oil here?

Hope someone can help as all of the stuff I’ve found online relates to the air version of these forks. I’ve had a ride on it and it seems good but I don’t want to end up doing damage to it by not having oil in the right place.

Advice or experiences gratefully received. Thanks.

dannyh
    Free Member

You won’t need to add oil to the compression damper bit if you haven’t touched it. The only scenario in which you might need to would be if oil was leaking out of that section into the lower leg. This shouldn’t happen, but if you tried to get the lowers off without fully removing the shaft bolts ( :oops:) you can pull the o-ring seal of the piston head out of its recess slightly I believe.

But basically the answer is ‘no’. When you do get around to looking at the compression assembly the oil will most likely be pristine as this section has no integration with the outside world (or shouldn’t).

whereisthurso
    Free Member

Thanks very much. That’s what I’d thought but the doubts were niggling me. Good to have it confirmed.

scandal42
    Free Member

How do you find these forks? Like the idea of dual position over u-turn.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

I like them. I have them on my DMR Bolt Long and to be honest I bought them because I wanted simplicity and strength. They tick those boxes and are beautifully plush seeing as they’re the coil version. I have had to change the spring to suit my weight though as the fork just wouldn’t hold me up enough with the stock medium spring. If you’re less than 75-80kgs it should be good.

I’ve previously had u-turn revelations and would never buy u-turns again simply because it was a hassle to use. I mostly use the bike for downhill stuff but on the odd occasion that I pedal it anywhere the dual position is handy and a lot easier to use than u-turn (u-turn always gave a horribly clunk when it topped out too).

Those are my impressions so far but I’ve only had the fork for a month. Buy one, £245 from CRC is a bargain for a fork that will last ages with little maintenance and no bells and whistles to worry about breaking. 🙂

Trekster

Do you have a link to the manual? I’ve got the ordinary ones and can’t find a manual!

scandal42
    Free Member

Thanks for that.

Im craving a fork that i don’t have to worry about after every ride i.e. Setup and mechanical issues.

My current fork is 120-150 and I like the idea of changing quickly from one setting to the other.

How do you find the damping, rebound and compression?

Also seems a good opportunity to go tapered steerer.

whereisthurso
    Free Member

It’s hard to comment on these too much as the spring that I had in was too light for me so I was running compression pretty high to help stop the fork diving to much. I’m hoping that the new spring is going to give me a little more support on the lip of jumps as previously the fork just swallowed them up and flattened them out. That said, they do just eat up the rough stuff brilliantly, it’s been years since I’ve had a coil fork and I immediately noticed an improvement over the lumpy stuff.

Am off to Glentress on Sunday for the first proper ride with the new spring so will get a better idea then.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Sektor coil servicing question’ is closed to new replies.