Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rockshox seal / wiper installation tools
  • wurzelcube
    Free Member

Am I better off buying the proper rockshox installation tool or can I safely install the seals/dust wipers with a suitable size socket?

eulach

Is there a tool for this? It takes me five minutes of swearing and sore thumbs for this – per leg. Thanks for the socket tip.

bland

yeah screwdriver them out and push them back in. If you are being really bone idle you can do it without taking the legs off, just clean them up with a rag and cotton buds

offthebrakes
    Free Member

Yep, socket for the win.

warpcow
    Free Member

Pvc pipe. Fits perfectly and takes 2secs with a little gentle persuasion.

tonyd

Screwdriver handle and a hammer for me.

Konastoner
    Free Member

Warpcow +1

Your much less likely to damage anything if the pipe moves while hammering. Also worth remembering to remove the seal pressure springs before fitting the seals and refit when done.

stonster
    Free Member

did this just last week. Picking up a tip from others – all that you need to do is pop the rubber bits in the freezer and they shrink. Then you can just slot them in. It was far far easier than I was expecting 🙂

superfli
    Free Member

Put the seals in the freezer for a while first and then put grease on them when fitting. I use a large socket and rubber mallet to install.

zangolin
    Free Member

Hammer/freezing for fitting seals? 😯 – bit of grease and a firm push is all that is required with the correct sized socket or the seal tool.

wurzelcube
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, I will have a go with a socket before buying the tool (unless I find one cheap on ebay) what size socket do you use? (I’m guessing somewhere between 30 and 34mm?)

stonster
    Free Member

freezing = no push or tools required 😉 Drops in as easy as anything

zangolin
    Free Member

freezing = no push or tools required Drops in as easy as anything

Fair enough – but does seem a little pointless as they just push in without freezing.

easygirl

Never used a socket, screwdriver or freezer
    Just push them in with my thumbs

Scamper
    Free Member

To start with I actually used the Hope pro2 hub seal installation tool! After the first installation they seem to then go in nice and easy by hand.

daveagiles
    Free Member

+1 for freezing.

Much harder to get the stantions into the lower legs with new seals though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox seal / wiper installation tools’ is closed to new replies.