Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Rockshox Reverb Warranty – Wiggle
  • chrisrobs
    Free Member

Hi can anyone advise where I might stand on this please?

I bought a reverb new from wiggle 08/13 which was replaced under warranty 09/14 due to the air chamber losing pressure. I’ve now got the same problem with the replacement post.

I’ve emailed wiggle and this was their response. “Your seat post is no longer covered by warranty and the manufacturer are unable to accept it for a warranty inspection”

SRAM say its a 2 year warranty on reverbs. Does the warranty transfer over to the new post or does it still go from the original date of purchase?

Thanks

scotroutes

No. It’s from date of original purchase.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Might as well try and contact sram direct, they’re meant to be really good

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    baddddad
    Free Member

worst case – buy another (same one), send the old back under the new warranty, sell the warranty one when it comes back. also means you’re not without a seatpost

martinhutch

worst case – buy another (same one), send the old back under the new warranty, sell the warranty one when it comes back. also means you’re not without a seatpost

😯

Hopefully there are serial numbers on it which could be used to prevent that kind of abuse.

slimjim78
    Free Member

‘cept they’re serial number marked – and that’d be fraudulent n’all

drovercycles
    Free Member

Yep, your warranty is over and above your statutory rights and runs from the original date of purchase.

However you have normal consumer rights – part of the contract between you and Wiggle and nothing to do with SRAM – part of which is that the product has to be of satisfactory quality and fit for purchase.

Is a seatpost which fails twice in 30 months fit for purpose? Perhaps not, if you’ve followed the manufacturers recommended service schedule. If you have, I’d argue the toss with Wiggle. If you’ve done (or had done for you by a shop) no maintenance on it for over two years then I don’t think you can quibble too much.

It’ll be repairable, for sure, and you might have to suck up that cost if you’ve not looked after it.

drovercycles
    Free Member

I wondered what the recommended service schedule was, so I checked:

RECOMMENDED SERVICE INTERVALS
    • Remote and hose bleed – after 100 hours of riding
    • Keys, topcap seals, and seal head seal replacement – after 100 hours of riding
    • Complete seatpost overhaul – after 200 hours of riding

slimjim78
    Free Member

great response

scotroutes

Interesting. That would be 3 months, 3 months and 6 months for me (assuming I had one on an only bike). I can’t say it’s a persuasive argument for selecting one.

slimjim78
    Free Member

it’s still a relatively new advancement in technology and they are cramming a lot of gubbins into a tiny tube – whilst still keeping it at a price point that most can manage.

So I guess it stands to reason they cover their asses with such a service schedule.

Ever read your car/motorbike recommended servicing schedules? You’d have a lot less time to do your driving if you followed them to the letter..

martinhutch

Turning the ‘recommended service interval’ thing on its head, has anyone ever challenged this on the basis that these intervals are incompatible with reasonable real-world use of the item?

Is it reasonable to have to spend a considerable proportion of the original cost of the item on parts and servicing every year? Just a quick glance at one service centre suggests that, even if you could do the clean and bleed yourself, you’d be spending over £150 a year on seal changes and full rebuild on pretty modest mileages.

drovercycles
    Free Member

I can’t say it’s a persuasive argument for selecting one.

I don’t think you’ll find that the competition differs much. Realistically, very few people can claim to follow these instructions religiously – with forks, shocks, or seatposts. Thankfully, manufacturers know this, and don’t tend to make a fuss when people claim under warranty within two years.

Once a product like this is over two years old though, retailers will quite understandably look to wash their hands if the end user has done no maintenance (not suggesting this is the OP’s case, he may have been looking after it exactly as recommended).

I’m not sure whether it’s more unrealistic to expect an end-user to service their seatpost every 100 hours, or for said end-user to expect a product like this to continue to work flawlessly in UK riding conditions if it’s not maintained at all. I’m sure there’s a middle ground in there somewhere…

mindmap3
    Free Member

Neither of mine have ever been serviced and seem to be fine – the basic service seems pretty easy for a DIY job.

I really like my Reverbs but having bought them for £160 each, I won’t be paying £150 for a service.

I think it’s worth giving Fishers a shout direct to see what they say.

chrisrobs
    Free Member

I’ve emailed Wiggle again and asked them to clarify why it isn’t covered, as they they didnt really say why. Nothing back yet.

On the service side, I have stripped the post down about 6 months ago, cleaned it and replaced the seals on it. It also get bled every 3-4 months. I do ride in the Peak District quite a lot but my bike always gets properly cleaned and lubed afterwards.

It’s frustrating that both posts have failed roughly at the same time periods and on the same issue. Back to the old quick release for me.

Scamper
    Free Member

This has given me a prompt. I got a Reverb in June 13, which exploded after a month or two and I got sent a replacement. This failed after minimal riding in August 14. Life got in the way and I never sent it back. I do however still have an email I sent in Sept 14 explaining the replacement was shot and a Return email from Wiggle saying to send it back for inspection, so can illustrate its not been used since.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ask you lbs kindly to post it to Fisher for you, ask them to service it, you’ll get a new one back. Or ask wiggle to do it.

I and a few of my mates have has reverbs replaced well, well out of warranty period.

beano68
    Free Member

I’ve sent mine back twice as they have been playing up and twice they have given me a new one so just send it back 😀

dalesjoe
    Free Member

Might be easier and less hassle just to get it serviced. Mine broke, had it serviced/repaired for £60. Came back better than new a couple of days later. Sometimes I just can’t be bothered with the hassle. Mine was a few years old though so well out of any warranty.

Chipbutty
    Free Member

My 4 year old reverb packed up recently. I couldn’t find the receipt or any proof of where I purchased it from. On a whim I sent an email to CRC thinking I may have bought it from them, they said they had no record of me buying it from them, but they were really helpful and said to send it in to them and they would forward it on to Fishers for inspection and repair. Anyway 2 weeks later and I receive an email from Fishers stating they will replace my Reverb FOC as a goodwill gesture. Very impressed, that’s customer service.
    So I would say take it to a SRAM dealer and ask nicely if they can forward it to Fishers for repair.

CB

chrisrobs
    Free Member

Ive pushed wiggle on the warranty, they’ve now asked me to send it back to them for a warranty inspection. So hopefully they will fix it or replace it.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Reverb Warranty – Wiggle’ is closed to new replies.