Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rockshox Revelation – which one to buy?
  • james
    Free Member

I ‘think’ I can rule out the XX, World cup and XX World cup models, but I’m a bit unsure on working out which of the others is the one worth having?
    Basically between the RL/RLT models (which have the dual flow rebound)or the RLT Ti/’10 Team models (which have the Blackbox motion control)

Is the Blackox motion control worth the extra £100-150 over the dual flow rebound equipped RL/RLT models?

Any insight/experience into dual-air/dual position air/dual-air U-turn also very welcome

pugster007
    Free Member

I have 2010 Rev Race, with QR drop-outs. During a service with TFTuned I upgraded to a Blackbox damper (for £88) and it if definitely worth it. Rebound is better when really pushing it at >75% travel.

Check out the Motion Control version, with 20mm Maxle on Merlin Cycles for £329 (-10% …. £298 bargain !) and when they are ready for a service send them off for a Blackbox upgrade.

Dual air is great, use the guidelines on the fork, then adjust +/-5psi to suit, I run +110psi, -120psi.

Gary_C

I bought the Revelation RLT off Merlin a few weeks ago, £359.99 with the extra 10% off.

The dual air took me a couple of rides to get the ‘feel’ right, but now they’re set up, they’re great. The pop-loc comes in handy for the tarmac sections & the steep out of the saddle climbs.

They compare very favourably with my 36 FLOATS that they replaced.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    james
    Free Member

pugster, you say the rebound is better with the blackbox unit, which AFAIK is the same as the dual flow rebound in ’11 RL/RLT models
    Do you reckon you noticed much/anything with the different compression circuitry?

Northwind

If it only costs £88 to upgrade to blackbox then that answers that. I’ve had motion control revs and I’ve now got blackbox ones and though motion control’s perfectly decent and more than adequate, blackbox is noticably better and I think definately worth having.

I’ve not tried dual-position, though as a 2-step Lyrik owner I don’t trust it… But u-turn I find useful. It does depend on your bike, some work well with a height adjustable fork, some really only work with the fork at the right length.

pugster007
    Free Member

I’m not sure I noticed any compression difference to be honest, but the rebound was great and consistent, I hammered down Flightpath at CYB yesterday, normally feel pretty battered due to the flagstone lumpy surface, but the forks were great. I must add that I used to run +\- at the same pressure, but after advice from TFT I know run a bit higher on negative side vs. Positive side. Buy those forks from Merlin and get the damper changed when your ready! I think you have to buy the RLT Ti version to get black box as standard.

james
    Free Member

“If it only costs £88 to upgrade to blackbox then that answers that”
    Yes but that was on top of the TF tuned service charge. I’ve had my (’08 QR) revs to bits a couple of times, so I’m pretty unlikely to send off my fork off anywhere in future

Another question query? Are RLs OE? Are RLTs? And thus won’t have a 2 year RS warranty, only a 1 year merlin/etc one?

Those 20mm RLs do look very tempting though,
    My hardtail would be nice with a 115mm Rev as well ..

adsb
    Free Member

My dual air revs are lovely forks which can really take a hammering when set up right – which means getting the +/- balance the way you like it before you adjust comp damping. I found that using the U-Turn travel adjustment dramatically increases the need to stop and pump/adjust pressures which adds to the already fiddly height adjustment i.e. LOADS of faffing around!. I’ve found that the bike performs pretty well all round at 130mm and it stays that way so I’d go for the blackbox over U-Turn for sure.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

From the RS website, RL’s are OEM only. RLT and RLT Ti both available aftermarket. No U-turn on 2011 forks – only dual air (no height adjust) and dual position 120 and 150

james
    Free Member

I see, currently wondering whether having the second year covered by a rockshox warranty is worth an extra £60 ..

hugh_b
    Free Member

I have 2010 revelation race forks. Find them really good, nice and stiff and plenty plush enough. Was going to sell and buy some blackbox ones. Not sure how much difference it will make as i find the motion control pretty good and i’ve pushed them pretty hard.

For £88 though I can’t really go wrong!

Stu_N

The Blackbox ones are noticably better than older Motion control. I have Blackbox Revs and Motion Control Pikes, Blackbox is just more controlled when it gets proper choppy and less spiky (same pressure and the same on rebound btw).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Revelation – which one to buy?’ is closed to new replies.