Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rockshox recon servicing – the saga continues. More help please!
  • dannyh
    Free Member

Following on from the ‘are my forks written off’ thread…..

I’ve now managed to pluck up the courage to service my forks, but I have some issues! The lowers are off, the 24mm bolts at the top of the stanchions are both exposed. I can’t go any further as the 24mm socket I’ve bought doesn’t fit my ratchet set. Schoolboy error.

But I am also missing other vital stuff. I think I need 5wt oil for the legs, and 15wt for the damper. Where can I get these from? I’ve looked on CRC and they don’t seem to have both.

Also, where do I source IPA from?

I don’t think I need ‘Judy butter’ or ‘red rum’ as these seem to be for air forks only?

One more thing (sorry) if I find the o ring on the damper rod seal head has failed, where do I get a new one from?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to get this right and do a proper job. I’m not a total numpty, honest, I just start to feel out of my depth the second things get tricky!

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Ok first off the 24mm bolts are not bolts they top caps. 😉

Think the best thing if look on TF tuned website and get one of there service kits, it come with seals, oil grease etc be the easiest, quickest and cheapest way of getting all the parts
    http://www.tftunedshox.com/Catalogue/Shop-RockShox/RockShox/RockShox-Recon-Parts
    they also do seal kits, might as well replace all seals with the forks apart, you know they all done then. (hard to get hold of one seal at a time)

dannyh
    Free Member

Just an update in case anyone’s bothered! This service seems to be going well. I’m awaiting arrival of fork oil and IPA to finish it, but the end is in sight. It’s been quite therapeutic taking it to bits and cleaning some bits up. Hopefully the rest will go well. The internals seem quite simple, but well manufactured, so no guesswork required like some things.

robhenry85
    Free Member

glad you gave it a go 😀

like i said recons are just a spring in a tube, simple but work and will last forever with a bit of tlc every now and again

dannyh
    Free Member

To plagiarise an annoying TV ad, dannyh just finished servicing his recons and now he feels EPIC!

The only minor cock up (that the YouTube vids don’t show) was tightening the coil side bottom bolt first and not having the damper rod fully extended in the other leg, so I couldn’t locate the threads. Never mind, only wasted 45ml of oil taking the lowers off again.

They’re not back in the bike yet, just a wipe-over with some IPA to do, but man do they feel plush now! Hopefully as good as new!

Big thanks to everyone who posted advice. I feel I have overcome the last barrier to bike maintenance. I always said I would never try a fork service, but now I’ve done it I am well chuffed.

Neil-F
    Free Member

Excellent mate, well done. 😀
    I’ve got Recon Air forks, I’ve serviced them a couple of times now and it really is quite easy once you know how to do it. I think there’s a fear in us all when delicate and expensive stuff involves air, fluids or ball bearings! 😆

dannyh
    Free Member

Fear? You’re not kidding.

I’m glad I set out to do it over a few evenings rather than trying to rush it. Next time will be easier, though.

Every time the bike goes in the stand a mild panic ensues!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox recon servicing – the saga continues. More help please!’ is closed to new replies.