Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • RockShox REBA RL – swap to RCT3 damper?
  • orangespyderman

I currently have a Reba RL (100mm) that came standard on my Trek Superfly 9.6 2015 model. I’m guessing it’s a 2015 model fork, but haven’t checked serial number etc.

I’ve read on some forums* that it’s possible, and even worthwhile, upgrading with an RCT3 damper. Has anyone done this here? Is it easy, but mostly is it a worthwhile upgrade? I find the current fork is not very “plush” on smaller washboard type surfaces, but I do run it at a fairly high pressure** – is that something that the RCT3 would improve or am I doomed to cycle more and/or eat less pies to improve that?

* Other forums are available
    ** I’m a fat knacker

poah
    Free Member

you can but you’ll also have to change the rebound damper as well

otsdr
    Free Member

you can but you’ll also have to change the rebound damper as well

They are quite independent of one another, I am not sure why you would need to change the rebound rod.
    I mean, OK, if you explicitly want the ‘Rapid recovery’ tune, but it is not mandatory.

There is also this option, currently have it sitting on my desk; will see how it works.

poah
    Free Member

its to do with the DIG valve in the 2014 RCT3 damper – if the 2013 RCT3 damper fits then you don’t have to change rebound damper.

otsdr
    Free Member

The RCT3 bit/compression damper sits at the top, the DIG valve is in the rebound assembly, which is at the bottom. The only effect the rebound assembly has on the compression one is the fluid it displaces.
    As far as I know, the rod diameters are the same between the DIG/non-DIG rebound assemblies, so it follows that they displace the same amount of oil and they affect the compression damper in the same way.

balfa
    Free Member

I looked into this recently for an old revelation which uses the same damper. It should be a straight forward swap. I decided it wasn’t worth the cost in the end. Google the Rockshox spare parts catalogue to get the correct part No.

There are other cheaper things you could try too like upgrading to bottomless tokens or changing the damping oil to something a little heavier. The latter helped me a lot as a heavier rider.

jairaj

As far as I understand it when upgrading the compression circuit to RCT3 it is recommended to upgrade the rebound circuit to Rapid Recovery / DIg valve it is not a requirement.

I upgraded some U-turn dual air Revelation from RL to RCT3 including the upgrade of the rebound circuit. I didn’t notice the fork become any plusher on individual bumps but did find it was more composed and prone to less spiking through longer rough sections.

orangespyderman

Mmmm – thanks for the feedback. I believe my fork already has bottomless tokens in (according to the SRAM doc) will have check next service and probably make the decision then but it does looks like it is starting to get a little on the pricey side for something that may not significantly improve the fork.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘RockShox REBA RL – swap to RCT3 damper?’ is closed to new replies.