Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rockshox poplock advice…
  • Kryton57

So… bought a second hand set of reba’s off ebay. Now, I’m not inclined to use the poplock TBH, but I’m having difficulty setting it up.

Firstly, its seems stiff so that once setup it’ll “lock”, but won’t spring back to the unlock position.

Secondly, the gold coloured screw on top seems to loosen it up, but not enough. For now I’ve tightened it down with the screw so that it won’t spring back when riding – is this OK or will is damage the damping cartridge?

Any advice for sorting it if my ham fisted solutionn isn’t right.?

fasthaggis

Maybe needs cleaning.

stuarthatfield
    Free Member

They are a complete pain, if you can afford convert it to hydraulic ,or put a manual cap on the fork .

LoCo
    Free Member

Take the moco apart, remove spring, install small cap head screw into the hole the cable attaching grub screw is in and you have a crown top adjustable fork (and alot less hassle) or upgrade the damper to a higher spec.

Kryton57

Thanks Loco, but er, for the ham fisted / non practical type of person…

I take the blue bit (the cap?) off? Undo the moco damp and raise it out a bit – then I see a spring, I chuck it? I put the blue cap back on… if I then use the cap head screw to replace the grub screw, what holds the cap on?

LoCo
    Free Member

Take blue cap off, remove moco completely, remove top cap (l/H thread!)
    pull out shaft & top cap remove spring, align again and refit (l/h thread! 😉 )
    Or you can send it to us, just the moco, and I’ll do it for you. 😀

jairaj

Its a very simple procedure doesn’t take long to do. I used the following guide.

When you take the damper out, you’ll notice there is a spring inside it which returns the compression knob back to its start position.

You just have to take the bottom of the spring out of its hole so there is no tension on the spring any more, which stops retuning the the knob back to the start position.

Then reassemble as normal. The existing knob works OKish and stays in position. But if you want to get fancy, you can either buy a new crown adjust knob, or put a thin o-ring under the knob to provide some friction.

**edit- the spring is quite stiff so takes a bit of force to dislodge it.

Kryton57

thanks Jairaj, thats worked! I couldn’t follows Loco’s advice as I don’t have a 24mm socket, but was able to unscrew the damper by hand to get at the spring.

I won’t ride it for a few days and its lost a few drips of oil.

Loco, thanks – I’ve a small bundle of 2 forks and 1 shock coming to you about September time, I might ask you to replace the damper with the dual flow damper.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox poplock advice…’ is closed to new replies.