Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rockshox pike vs marzocchi 55 rc3
  • adammada
    Free Member

Strangely I can’t find an answer to this question online. I find that the marzocchi 55 rc3 allows me to ride 6 days straight lift open to lift closed in the alps without destroying my arms. Last time I tried this with an air spring based fork that was not the case. Are the new air spring forks – particularly the RS pike now so good in terms of stiction, spring curve and damper characteristics that they can do the same? Hopefully someone has experience of both on here and can advise.

robj20
    Free Member

Well i went from a 66 RC3 to a Lyrik and while not quite as supple they are plenty good enough and a whole heap lighter. Damping is better though the controls make a big difference and plenty of adjustment.

julians
    Free Member

I had a 2013 marz 55 rc3 ti v2 evo on my previous bike, and on my new bike I have a rockshox pike rct3 160mm travel solo air.

The pike is surprisingly good, better than I was expecting, and the best air sprung fork I’ve used so far, small bump sensitivity is very good for an air fork. But its not as sensitive as the marzocchi. Over big bumps I’d say they’re comparable, but the marzocchi is more ‘plush’feeling overall.

In terms of overall performance I’d say they’re quite close, with the marzocchi having the overall edge, but the marz is massively and noticably heavier than the pike, dont know if that is a factor for you.

I think if you were buying a fork now, and had to choose between marz and pike, you’d go for the pike, as its 95% of the performance for a significant weight saving, but if you already have the marz I probably wouldnt swap to a pike unless weight saving is critical.

PJM1974
    Free Member

My previous bike had a 55CR and I’ve just bought a Pike RCT3 if that helps?

Both forks have a very linear feel to them, but I’m amazed at just how plush the Pike feels. It’s in a completely different league.

I’ve yet to fully test it on my local xc loop – that’ll happen once the trails dry out – but the early signs are extremely good indeed.

chakaping
    Free Member

Julians is spot on.

It’s almost as good, but has not quite got that “hot knife through butter” feel.

Does offer a bit more support though, so probably better on steep technical stuff.

kimbers

another one agreeing with julians, though i had 44 rc3ti

the marzocchi was better at small bumps but a bit divier , though i think that might have been fixed with a heavier spring in the 44s

pike is easier to tune and set up and the pikes are stiffer but the same weight as my 44s for more travel

adammada
    Free Member

Thanks all I’ve gone for some pikes

highlandman
    Free Member

While the Pike may be almost as good and yes, noticeably lighter, it is also worth thinking about long term reliability. I know which fork will be able to go to the Alps several times without disintegrating, meantime riding hard at home year after year. If you’re planning on putting a lot of riding into it, the 55 will probably be the better choice.

kimbers

my pikes have survived a year of ukges, an ews and a horrendously filthy megavalanche

theyve needed 2 oil changes but seem to be holding up pretty well

rotten
    Free Member

Julians review is exactly what I think. Marzocchis would without doubt be the better fork if it wasn’t for the weight. Not by much mind.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I don’t agree that the 55’s are the better fork. The problem with the 55’s is that they only offer 1 titanium spring, and the other one is steel I believe. So if you are out of the weight range for either of these springs you have to add air preload and they are notchy when you add this – far notchier than the Pikes.

IMO the best thing for most riders is to get the right spring rate, for professionals, coil forks are great as teams can get custom coil springs made for each rider. At best, the consumer has 5 springs to choose from (rock shox).

If you want small bump sensitivity, lower your tyre pressure by going to either 1) Bigger tyres 2) Wider Rims 3) Procore/Ghetto Procore

Coil forks for pro’s/those riding long Alpine descents regularly, air for everyone else. Coil shocks make a little more sense for the consumer as there is a wider range of spring rates available and the performance benefits are greater in comparison to coil forks.

The Pikes are more sensitive than my old coil Lyriks and they had a low friction seal/foam wiper setup installed instead of the dual seal setup.

Andy-R

Tom_W1987 – Member
    I don’t agree that the 55’s are the better fork. The problem with the 55’s is that they only offer 1 titanium spring, and the other one is steel I believe.

They do a soft Ti spring (clicky) but not, as far as I know, a hard one.

If anyone has one they don’t want BTW? A soft one, I mean.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

170 quid for a soft spring…yay…..there are five Lyrik springs and even that wasn’t enough to get the exact sag that I wanted to keep the bike feeling balanced…they retail for around 30 quid if I remember.

Not worth it, 55’s are already expensive without adding a 170 quid TI spring on top that may or may not be the right spring rate for you.

The Pikes are great, you won’t notice the difference in sensitivity and you’ll get more supportive damping and an infinite spring rate choice to boot.

adammada
    Free Member

For those wanting a conclusion – I brought the Pike RCT3 and rode 7 days straight lift open to lift closed in the alps without destroying my arms. Air spring forks have got a lot better.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Everyone loves a happy ending.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox pike vs marzocchi 55 rc3’ is closed to new replies.