Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rockshox pike setup help
  • J273
    Free Member

There was a thread on here with some set ups to try with the new pikes , now I’ve got mine I can’t for the life of me find it?

I’ve got the 29er 140mm model and I’ve only had them a week and a few rides in just getting to grips with the settings.

Being only 69.5kg kitted up I’m running them with 75psi and getting roughly 30% sag in full open mode. On the bigger stuff they seem fine but any lose rocky footy sections they feel a bit harsh like I’m riding rigid forks.

Could this be I’m running slightly too much rebound ( I’m going by the method of both hand on bars and letting the front wheel rebound, slowing it down until the wheel stays on the ground which I always do) or maybe too much PSI ?

I’ve not really touched the LSC it’s how they came out the box.

Another thing am I correct in thinking the 140 model’s come with 2 tokens pre-installed and maybe taking one out id get a better feeling fork at my weight?

Thanks

bloodsexmagik
    Free Member

30% sag is fine.

Wind the LSC to fully off. Add more if you feel your forks are diving when braking or on small hits. I’ve found you don’t need a lot with the pikes, though I tend to add more for races/DH runs. It sounds like they might have had some dialled in from the factory. This would explain the poor performance on smaller stuff (Low speed compression) and better on bigger hits (high speed)

Rebound, I don’t fully understand what you mean above, but I have a feeling its too slow. I’d go roughly in the middle and then adjust either side. Bounce the front wheel off of the ground, the fork should just extend as it leaves the ground – too slow and it will extend in the air, too fast and it will buck you up.
    Then take it out and ride it. You should be able to tell if you need more or less. If you feel its bucking you back up after hits, then slower. If it’s packing down, faster.

Token wise, my pikes came with none (150, 650B) and I added one. I doubt this is your issue.

J273
    Free Member

Ok thanks -I’ll try backing off the LSC next time and see how I get on.

This is the method for rebound I use, maybe didn’t explain it too well.

kayak23

I have the same with my 160mm 650b Pikes. They feel a little rigid over chatter bumps I’ve found. Haven’t really played with settings yet…

mactheknife

I find that’s where my pikes stand head and shoulders above other forks i have used. They just eat up small trail chatter.

Take all LSC off and add 2 or 3 clicks. I have found they don’t need much at all. Once you have got that happy play with your rebound. Or vice versa. Don’t do it all at the same time. You will never know what you are fixing or making worse.

Checking to see if there are any tokens fitted is a doddle but i don’t think that affects small bump sensitivity. They just reduce the air chamber so the fork ramps up quicker on big hits.

craighill
    Free Member

too many tokens will start to effect small bump, I tried two in my 160 26″ and it made it harsh, dropped back to one and loads better.

I am 85kg, but run my bars quite high so not a lot of weight over the front, 25% sag seated, 30% sag standing, I run 65psi, 3 clicks lsc and one token, rebound I think just a few clicks quicker than dead middle.

this was roughly how I set it up originally, rode it on trail centres and dh runs, played about with settings, adding another token, and quickly went back to the above.

the 29’ers come with tokens installed, are you using full travel? if not try to remove a token give it a go, can always bob it back in.

J273
    Free Member

Im about 10mm from using full travel but this is literally riding my local loop with a few smallish jumps thrown in Ive not rode any big stuff yet.

backtothetop
    Free Member

I have the 160mm 26″ version of these and think ive got it set up just right now, 25% sag,I found rebound required to be set up slower then first thought due to the rapid recovery gizmo and setting LSC took some playing about but now its in position its noticeable if i change it just one click either way.

The rp23 on the rear is no match now.

J273
    Free Member

Ive just gone to check my settings.

Im running 70PSI @ 69.5kg fully kitted out.
    12 clicks of rebound from full slow
    Was running 4 clicks of LSC which ive now dropped to 2

Ill see how i get on tomorrow.

chiefgrooveguru

The rp23 on the rear is no match now.

I won’t mention how well the Pike complements the CCDBair on the back of my Spitfire… 😉

freeman
    Free Member

Amen to that cheifgrooveguru, the cane creek is a bit special, the climb switch makes me go faster up the hills than ive ever gone before. Pikes up front also which are the nuts too.

robhughes
    Free Member
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox pike setup help’ is closed to new replies.