Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rockshox Pike – bottom bolt snapped!
  • funkybaj
    Free Member

Afternoon,

I was just cleaning the bike after leaving it neglected the last few months. I flipped the bike over, took a sponge to the forms and to my surprise the bottom bolt from my Pike’s just came straight off 😐

You can see from the pics that it appears to have just sheared straight off! The forks haven’t been service and that bolt has never been tampered with. Has this happened to anyone before?

What can I do? What’s the best plan of attack? Do I need to extract the part that’s remaining? Are spare parts available?

Help!

legend
    Free Member

Are you the first owner? That bolt is definitely different to mine, but will be interesting to see if others have the same one. If under warranty just get them sent away. If not under warranty you should be able to take them apart like you would for a lowers service (there’s now nothing holding the spring rod in) and remove the remains when the lowers are off

benpinnick

Looks like you have Boost A2 pikes. They have some little bits and bobs that are distinct to the 2017 Boost pikes, but now used on all the forks for 2018 (including that bolt). You should be fine stripping the forks and gripping the bolt with some mole grips and winding it off. You might need an axle vice to hold the airshaft though. Depends how locked in it is. Its perfectly recoverable though. 10 minute job for a bike shop to get it out if you can’t.

The Rockshox part code is 11.4015.403.040 for your bolt (the new style). However thats the same part code I think for the old one too. SRAM haven’t created a new part code as yet, and having not published the 2018 parts list yet (AFAIK) where that bolt is on every fork, I can’t tell you what the real code to get it is. However I can tell you the old style one will work fine too.

funkybaj
    Free Member

Thanks for the info, really appreciated.

The forks came on my 2016 Commencal Meta AM V4. It’s almost two years old so out of warranty I’d of thought. They’re the RC model and non-boost.

Am I right in thinking that the silver part I can see within the leg is the remains of the bolt? So if I can remove that then it’s just the bolt that would need replacing?

bluearsedfly
    Free Member

Two year warranty with Sram so you should still be covered.

They could moan they should have been serviced but generally they are ok.

benpinnick

Looking at our Pikes here in the demo fleet some of the non boost ones have that bolt too, so I guess they swapped over at some point but only updated the parts diagram for the boost ones.

Yes thats the remains of the bolt. Once the forks are stripped there should be enough of the bolt sticking out of the shaft to grip it and remove it. You just need to get a new one – that part code above is the right one. Any shop should be able to source it for you. Im guessing its pot luck whether you get a new one or old one. If they’re ordering from Zyro today I am guessing it will be a new one.

teethgrinder

I might have a spare one kicking about – old style, though.

teethgrinder

I don’t. Sorry,

steel4real
    Free Member

For info – benpinnick – 2016 forks on , boost or non boost had that new foot nut/bolt.

Also – the 2018 spc has been available since at least June.

Part number given is correct and the diagrams still only show the new type of fastener for boost forks!

benpinnick

Ive seen a ‘2018’ parts doc, but its notably absent of any 2018 spec products.

funkybaj
    Free Member

OK, so I managed to removed the lowers after a bit of persuasion (first time I’ve tampered with forks myself). The remains of the bolt were easy to remove with some pliers, so that was good. Bit confused as to how this could of snapped, seems very odd.

I’ll try and track down a new bolt, cheers again for the part numbers. Hoping I can get one sharpish as I’ve a trip on the bike planned this coming weekend 😯

From guides it looks like I need to put some appropriate fork oil in each leg when reassembling. The foam rings didn’t look fresh either so some new ones would make sense.

What’s the best place to try and get the bolt and fork oil, foam rings, fork grease, etc?

legend
    Free Member

TF Tuned are your friends to make sure you get exactly what you’re after. Their website might have the bolt listed, and you can also easily get the right foam rings and oil. However, of at all unsure, just give em a quick call in the morning and they’ll sort you in no time!

teethgrinder

Full service kit comes with that bolt.

RickDraper
    Free Member

Send me your address via email and I will send you out a bolt. Wont be the exact same one, it will be from a earlier fork but I will include the crush washer and retainer.

benpinnick

Great offer from Rick! @teethgrinder is right – just checked and the ones we have in stock are with bolt, although its the older one, despite being the 2016+ kit.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Pike – bottom bolt snapped!’ is closed to new replies.