Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Rockshox Motion Control oil leak from floodgate knob
  • wheeliejim
    Free Member

Hi – there’s lots and lots of people out there that seem to have this problem, but as far as I can find not much info on what is causing it and how to actually fix it.

In a nutshell when the bike is upside down oil drips out from around the floodgate adjuster. I’m also finding that the top of the fork is getting oily over time (when not upside down), attracting dirt, and getting a bit manky.

Having looked at the moco cartridge (the red swiss cheese thing), it looks to me like the oil is running down this side of the shaft and out through where the floodgate knob is. There is a tiny 3mm o-ring under the floodgate knob with a tendancy to slide up and stop sealing – that’s my verdict anyway…

Has anyone actually worked out how to stop it leaking? I’ve heard TF tuned do a mod of some sort to fix it – anyone know what it is that does?

I did wonder about pumping a bit of grease down there before putting the o-ring on, and putting another o-ring on top of the original one to try and keep it in place and seal it.

I’m not sure if this is supposed to be and air tight seal anyway, so that arrangement might pop 😯

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

It’s just an o-ring.

stevemalone
    Free Member

The O Ring floats about a bit. When you rebuild the fork you have to make sure the floodgate is wound right up (the metal bit is at it’s highest) before you clamp the gold knob on other wise the o ring comes out. My rev’s do it, Air pikes do it and my old air pikes before them di did it. you can poke it in but the first big hit blows it out..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

TFTuned put another o-ring ontop to take up the slack. Even then on big hits I suffered some leakage due to them moving. An old hope brass washer was just the right size to tuck in the gap under the magic gate adjuster, and that held them down nicely.

wheeliejim
    Free Member

Thanks- i’ll try another o-ring.

Any thoughts on pumping a bit of grease down there while I’m at it?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Motion Control oil leak from floodgate knob’ is closed to new replies.