Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • rockshox motion control DNA
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

So i’m trying to get my head around all this info about rockshox’s Motion control compression damping

So all the new revs feature the motion control damper DNA and are solo air (used to hate fiddling with the positive/negative chambers on my old revs)

So they have 4 flavours

http://www.sram.com/rockshox/technologies/motion-control-dna

XX, RCT3, RTL and RL

ignoring the XX at the moment as it’s out of my range. From what I can work out the only difference between the RCT3 and the others is the RCT3 has got a knob to twiddle for open,threshold and lock. So if it’s open it’s going to be exactly the same performance wise as the other 2?

But then it says

“RCT3 features an independent adjustment of low speed compression.”

so if i’m really only concerned about high speed compression i.e rock garden stuff then this won’t matter to me so much

(I must admit my blackbox SID forks are pretty damn good and far better than any other fork i’ve had)

jairaj

Yep from what I understand the RCT3 has separate high and low speed compression circuits. The high speed is not externally adjustable but the low speed is.

The Black Box Motion control is a very similar unit with the dual compression circuits but without the threshold and lock adjuster.

RLT and RL have a single compression circuit.

trickydisco
    Free Member

cheers!

just a question if the rct3 is worth the extra £££

michaelonabicycle
    Free Member

Definitely worth it. I upgraded my RL’s to the RCT3 damper and it stood up much better in its travel and didnt dive.

jairaj

not actually tried the RCT3 damper but I my mate went from RS Sektors R to BBMC Revs and noticed a vast difference even in the wide open setting.

honourablegeorge

michaelonabicycle – Member
    Definitely worth it. I upgraded my RL’s to the RCT3 damper and it stood up much better in its travel and didnt dive.

What was involved inthe upgrade, Michael? I always thought it wouldn’t be cost effective to do that as the rebound damper needed upgrading to Dual Flow at the same time?

LoCo
    Free Member

2012 onwards Revelations with the DNA mocos all have the dual flow rebound assm.
    2014 Revelations have the Rapid recovery rebound system that a bit different.

Superficial
    Free Member

The compression damper part of the RCT3 damper is different to the old one. It actually employs a kind of shim stack, and the standard compression

Depending on circumstances, you might want a relatively open HSC (high speed compression – for your rock garden) but more of a closed LSC circuit to avoid diving into corners etc. Only the RCT3 allows you to adjust this, and in my experience it works well and is a step up from the RLC damper.

But all the posher Rev dampers (including 2012 onwards dual flow etc) are way ahead of the cheaper dampers found in Sektors and pre-2011 forks.

The XX is actually a more basic damper, but it’s lighter.

honourablegeorge

LoCo – Member
    2012 onwards Revelations with the DNA mocos all have the dual flow rebound assm.

So I can just bang a 2012 RCT3 damper in my RLs?

jairaj

yep should be a pretty simple job too.

honourablegeorge

So – if I was to do that – could I stick the RL damper in my mart’s Coil Sektor R?

LoCo
    Free Member

@george yes on both counts, however the RL cart will work better with the dual flow rebound assm.

honourablegeorge

Thanks Loco – have sent you an email for pricing.

trickydisco
    Free Member

I suppose there’s no mileage in buying a sektor from planet x and fitting an RCT3 cart?]

what’s the RCT3 cart.. £145?

LoCo
    Free Member

No point in fitting an RCT3 with a standard rebound assm. as you will still get the packing down on repeated hits and other issue with that match. With a sektor RL it’s best to replace the rebound assm for dual flow one.
    RCT3 comp. dampers are £125 (rrp £164 ish)

trickydisco
    Free Member

so might as well look for revs rct3 (planet x sold out of 1 1/8 🙁

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘rockshox motion control DNA’ is closed to new replies.