Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rockshox monarch RT3 plus – firming up?
  • nickdavies

Have one of these on my strive, the piggy back model which I’ve never been overly impressed with. The frame is known to blow through its travel heavily and this shock is supposed to be better than previous versions but I just can’t get it right.

I have to run nearly max air pressure and much less sag than normal to get it to sit up in its travel, even so I can only use the middle trail mode for descending, the full open just knocks and bottoms out under compression whatever I do with it. Even in middle mode I can knock the red ring off the bottom of the shock without much effort.

I know you can put the red reducer rings in which I think might help and get the debonair air sleeve which I don’t, but is it better to have it retuned? It’s currently LL which is low compression low rebound.

Would a medium or high setting cure it a bit? I’m 90kg in birthday suit so not the lightest of riders.

Cheers

wiggles
    Free Member

Try the volume spacers (or new air can) will help it to be more progressive as it goes through the travel.

richwak
    Free Member

I’ have the same bike and problem. I think the volume reducers are the answer but can’t seem to find any for sale. Might try a few layers of gorilla tape instead and see if that works.

coatesy
    Free Member

Give Loco a call, he had a load of reducers delivered on Thursday, so should have stock,

nickdavies

Crc have the reducers in stock, I’ve ordered some.

Wondering more if anyone had any thoughts on a proper retune? Might even be cheaper to buy a different tune shock but no idea if that’s going to totally screw the damping on the frame.

coatesy
    Free Member

Try the reducers first, it’s worked well on a mate’s bike that was suffering similar issues, but don’t rule out a retune in the future to improve things further, my shock has gone from harsh and chattery over small stuff, yet blowing through its travel on bigger hits, to smooth yet supportive following a retune.

jairaj

Even in middle mode I can knock the red ring off the bottom of the shock without much effort.

Sounds like the damping is not suitable for your needs at all. Speak to Canyon to double check its not a faulty shock. Otherwise I think a re-tune is needed.

But volume reducers are inexpensive and relatively easy to add. I’d give them a try first just in case they work miracles.

nickdavies

Not sure if it’s a faulty as its a known complaint with the strive, the piggy back is supposed to help it but maybe I’m just to keen on beer and cake!

I have pulled the shock off the bike to clean it and look inside the air can to see if there were any rings in there – noticed a rattling inside it? Whenyou tip tip it over it sounds like loose bits of metal going up and down, much like I’d expect a shim stack to sound like. Is this normal? Never taken a shock apart to see how it works inside.

Canyons basic take on it when I asked them ages ago was it is how it is – any change to the shock may invalidate the frame warranty…

bigjim

I don’t know if this only applies to the debonair can, but if you slightly damage the middle o-ring on the outside of the air can when you slide the sleeve on, air can move between the +ve and -ve chambers making the shock slowly collapse basically. Failing that I would try adding bottomless rings (or just big elastic bands even) to increase the spring rate before messing around with damping.

If its any consolation my friend with a Nerve AL+ has massive dive on the Fox shock on that bike, even with a big volume reducer fitted.

jairaj

any change to the shock may invalidate the frame warranty…

That’s a crap stance to take. Sure if the user decides to use a different sized shock then bad things can happen and I can understand why they wouldn’t cover that. But you should be free to adjust tuning of the shock.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox monarch RT3 plus – firming up?’ is closed to new replies.