Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Rockshox monarch
  • All-On-Black
    Free Member

hi all,

I recently changed from a fox rp23 to a Rockshox monarch Rl on my yeti asr-c because the shock was dead.

I simply transferred the hardware from the fox to the Rockshox, but to start with it was a bit stiff but has now loosened up.

However it still doesn’t move much over the small bump stuff like stones etc. if I get a whole new set of hardware will this get the shock moving better?

Ive tried different pressures and rebound settings as well which made no real difference apart from making it bottom out!

Cheers

warpcow
    Free Member

How’s the tune compared to the old one? New hardware will make near enough no difference unless there’s something really wrong with the old stuff.

darrenspink
    Free Member
    z1ppy

if I get a whole new set of hardware will this get the shock moving better?

Err what new hardware, are we talking about? if you talking about mountings, then nope, ain gunna help.
    As above, does the new shock have same tune(?).. and you can replace the std can with a debonair can, that is optimised to help with stiction fighting, & initial movement. Supposedly great if you within the normal weight range.. it’s not so good with clydesdale sized rider, same as the Fox HV shocks.

PS: I might be interested in your low volume can, as my debonair one is a little too active, with me being of a bigger persuasion

All-On-Black
    Free Member

Im not 100% certain but i think the fox was running at about 140 psi but im running the rockshox at just 110 psi and thats feeling quite solid. When i fitted the hardware (mountings) it was really tight to get them in which is why i thought it was that making the movement restricted.

poah
    Free Member

was the fox a HV or LV shock?

All-On-Black
    Free Member

Sorry.. in english?? What does that mean?

poah
    Free Member

your RP23 can have a large volume air can which tend to take more airpressure than standard volume air cans. if your RP23 is a large voume air can then it will have significant differences to the small volume monarch. The other thing is that monarch shocks tend to have more damping for the same tune as fox do. are you getting the same amount of travel as you did with the fox?

jwh
    Free Member

I’ve just had a monarch RL serviced by TF tunned.

While they were doing it i asked if the small bump sensitivity could be improved and they have added a reducer into the air can. I’m now running a fraction less pressure, with the same sag settings, but getting better small bump sensitivity.
    Its still working well all the way down the stroke as well.

This is a 150mm giant reign

kimbers

As well as being low or high volume

Shocks come with different tuning setups

Usually either high medium or low compression and high medium or low rebound

For example this high volume monarch has medium reboum, (red) and medium compression (blue)

This fox shock has a low compression tune

And a medium rebound

All-On-Black
    Free Member

Ah ok. No the fox was just a standard sized air can, very similar to that of the monarch. I am now getting more travel than i was with the rp23, but the rp23 was very tired and needed replacing because the nitrogen had leaked

All-On-Black
    Free Member

Ive never even noticed that! I will have to take a look!

All-On-Black
    Free Member

Ok so this evening ive had a gander and found the markings. I have a red m and a blue s. Does that mean medium rebound and slow compression??

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox monarch’ is closed to new replies.