Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rockshox Lyrik not reaching full travel
  • Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

I’ve got a Rockshox Lyrik RC2DH 170mm coil 2012. SRAM stopped making the coil in 2012 but due to a warranty issue they custom made me this one. I mention this as there are different oil volumes between 2011 and 2012.

When I take the coil out and compress the fork, I can’t get full travel (it has previously worked fine). It gets to about 150mm and then stops, not harshly like when it hits the bottom out bumpers but more like hitting a spring if that makes sense.

I haven’t finished stripping the fork but I wanted suggestions of things to look for:
    1) too much oil in the lowers. I’ve drained them and it doesn’t make a difference, so no.
    2) one of the bottom out bumpers twisted when I last serviced them and is now vertical so acting as bottom out spring now.
    3) could too much oil in the damper cause this? I have no idea on the last one – I used a measuring cylinder from a lab to measures it out, but perhaps I hadn’t fully drained it or something.

Sorry the post is so long. I just wanted to give as full details as possible.

Thanks.

LoCo
    Free Member

From what you’ve said most likely 3. , a twisted bottom out bump is unlikey to loose you 20mm travel.

mrplow
    Free Member

Oil in my Lyriks used to magically migrate into the damper?! This would reduce the available travel over time until I serviced them. Same happens each time.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

Ok thanks guys, sounds like we have a potential winner.

Mr Plow: I’ve always found way less than the 10ml comes back out on dropping the lowers but I assumed a bit of loss during use/coating the inside of the legs. Have you actually found an increase in the oil volume in the damper?

I’ll report back for completeness in case this helps for people searching in the future.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Have you called fisher for the details of what is and should be in yours? Probably worth a call as its a bit out of the ordinary.

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

I actually live in the US now. I dealt directly with SRAM, who emailed me to say that they used 2012 components. But given how protracted the whole experience was, I wouldn’t be too surprised if there wasn’t a problem there.

toys19
    Free Member

Mr plow this is caused by the head seal burping. You need a new head seal, loco can sort you out.

Monkey-Boy
    Free Member

So there was too much oil in the damper, about 208ml instead of the prescribed 184ml. Seems to be all working now.

I’m not sure if this is a recent change or a slow build up of oil passing into the damper (or perhaps I made a mistake when I last changed the oil). I think I’ll keep an eye on it and take it from there. I guess the simple diagnosis for a recurring problem is not getting full travel.

Thanks again for your help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Lyrik not reaching full travel’ is closed to new replies.