Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • rockshox lower leg service
  • trauty
    Free Member

in final phase when reattaching lower legs to stanchions , would it be desirable to slide them all the way up to fork crown and then tighten the bottom bolts , or is it better to tighten them right when the air shafts just touch the holes?

fathomer

Air & damper shafts should be fully extended when reattaching the foot bolts is my understanding.

otsdr
    Free Member

Yes, fully extended to avoid creating negative pressure in the lowers and changing the behaviour of the fork.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DrP

well…you could crew the bolts a few turns with the shafts compressed, and then ‘pull them to extension’, and then fully tighten..

DrP

bgascoyne
    Free Member

I thought the fork should be fully compressed. That’s what they show on the MBR video. However when I look at the RS video they leave the shafts fully extended. Will adjust mine tonight as I followed the MBR one on the weekend…..probably trust the RS more!

bgascoyne
    Free Member

The RS manual is also confusing regarding the amount of oil to put in each fork. IN the Pike manual 2014-2017 it says 10ml each leg, in the 2014 to present manual it says 5ml in the drive and 15ml in the non drive. WTF Sram, which one is it???

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I doubt it makes the blindest bit of difference in reality. I must have serviced getting in for 200 sets of forks by now and I’ve never given it a second thought, I just pop the lowers on, add the lubricating oil, then screw them back together as soon as I can get the bolts on.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The RS manual is also confusing regarding the amount of oil to put in each fork. IN the Pike manual 2014-2017 it says 10ml each leg, in the 2014 to present manual it says 5ml in the drive and 15ml in the non drive. WTF Sram, which one is it???

IIRC the newer models (the ones with blue SKF seals) are 10 and 10, the older ones 15 and 5.

Mate is a EWS team mech, and general suspension nerd, reckons it makes no difference. 10 and 10 is what he puts in everything.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Again, I doubt it matters much. I put 15cc in everything, never had an issue. Also you can get away with any fork oil for that job if you’ve run out of 15wt. I ran 5wt in my own lowers for a year or so and couldn’t tell any difference. It’s only for lubricating purposes.

I also remove the grease SRAM pack the air cartridges with these days and replace with Fox Float Fluid. That does make a difference IMO. I reckon the forks feel a bit smoother and more supple with oil rather than grease.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Another Pike question. Has anyone found a decent way of holding the 3 position compression adjuster so you can undo or replace the 6mm retaining nut?

Just wanging it around to the stop can’t be good for the damper.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘rockshox lower leg service’ is closed to new replies.