Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rockshox Forks – Changing the spring, do I need to add oil?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Going to change the spring in my Rockxhox Tora fork – the procedure looks quite simple. Does anyone know if I need to add any oil to the leg when I do this?

Thanks!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You can catch the oil that comes out if you like, but putting new in is sensible. 15w fork oil is about £7 from a motorbike shop.
    Put lots of grease on the new spring as well!
    🙂

poppa
    Free Member

Okey doke – being pikey I may try to catch the oil! The spring already cost me £37…

retro83
    Free Member

You don’t have to catch the oil, just keep the fork horizontal and none will come out.

You might as well do it seeing as you’re working on them anyway though!

grumm
    Free Member

Oi Poddy, does one of your guides tell you how to change the oil? Think a bit of mine leaked when I changed the springs.

BoardinBob

unless it’s a u-turn fork, you don’t need to remove the lower bolt so there’s no need to bother with oil

Remove the pre-load adjuster (it should just pull off with some pliers)

24mm socket to remove the top cap

Compress the forks and the spring should pop out the top

Remove and replace with new spring, suitably greased

Replaced the top cap

Replace the pre-load adjuster

poppa
    Free Member

Yeah, it is a U-Turn I am afraid!

doug_basqueMTB.com

there’s a good guide that you can download from the sram website. pic’s and everything.

Spud

Just done my Pikes tonight and not a jot of oil came out!

http://www.tftunedshox.com/info/rockshox_spring_fitting.aspx

stevomcd
    Free Member

Yeah, did my Lyriks as soon as I got them, no oil loss at all (followed the instructions as Doug and Spud). Seems to be p*ssing out the damper leg at the moment though… 😥

poppa
    Free Member

Spud – thanks for that, much better than the SRAM guide! Just need a socket wrench now, or can I get away with a spanner?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Forks – Changing the spring, do I need to add oil?’ is closed to new replies.