Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rockshox Foam Rings
  • beanieripper
    Free Member

Just whipped apart my 2010 revs to check the oil, they haven’t got much mileage on them yet. Unsuprisingly one leg had virtually no oil in it, so good job i checked really. Ive pulled the foam rings out to soak them but they were actually pinched in tightly under the seals so have torn, they were also bone dry. ive service rs before and normally the foam rings just pop out so I know they were installed incorrectly at the factory. Does anyone know where I can get the foam rings on their own as i dont really want to shell out £15+ on a seal and foam ring set….

LoCo
    Free Member

mail me your address, and I’ll send you some 🙂

Simon

I had the same thing when I did the first service on the 409 Pikes that came on my Prophet, but I already had the seal kit and foams at hand.
    One of the stanchions already has a wear line in it.
    I think if I get Rockshox forks in the future I’ll strip them and check oil levels before I use them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    LoCo
    Free Member

Another reason all my forks are stripped, inspected and ‘adjusted’ before they go out 😉

Simon

Yep, it sounds like a good service to offer.
    I’ll be in touch when I need some new forks, the 409s work well but lighter would be better!

beanieripper
    Free Member

Loco, really cant thank you enough mate, tis why I love this site, where else would you get that eh? Ive emailed you my address and when im next in line for forks for me or the missus or bits, you will be my first port of call.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Like Loco, I strip all my new forks before I use them due to this very thing.

Unlike loco, I don’t do it for a living. 😀

You don’t have to take the foams out to soak them if they’re clean. A syringe to apply oil in situ works just as nicely, although, when they’re used, they’re full of shiite, so they do need to come out then.

LoCo
    Free Member

Just gone in the post now 😀 I’ve put a set of the thick and thin ones in as they’re are two types depending on which seal kit is fitted.

bigjim

Mine appeared to be bonded on in places, I’m not sure if it is excess glue from the bushings or what, but I managed to get them out without too much damage. i think its worth taking them out rather than re-oiling them in situ as a load of gunky oil/water was in them that I soaked out into a clean rag.

And one of my legs had no oil and another had maybe 1ml of milk-chocolate looking oil/water/dirt emulsion! I guess it is in rockshox interest to not put the right amount of oil in their forks so you have to replace them more often.

bigdonx
    Free Member

Loco – what are the implications of putting the thin seals in where the thick ones should be??

I recently serviced a pair of old recons I have and had a similar situation with the foam rings stuck to the inside of the lowers so got damaged on removal. I had a new pair of foam rings lying around, but they looked alot thinner than the ones that came out – I assumed some room for expansion, but reading the above, they are probably the thin (wrong?) ones.

Cheers,
    bigdonx

LoCo
    Free Member

The thin ones are for the other seal kit (part no: 4308.850.000) with the separate oil and dust seals, the only issue I can see when using them with the basic seal kit (part no: 4310.290.000) is that they are more likely to move around and get caught between the stantion and bush.

scruff
    Free Member

Loco, have the special bits come in yet so you can special tune an RP23 ?

bigdonx
    Free Member

Cheers Loco – I’ll have a wee survey next time I take the forks apart.

LoCo
    Free Member

Scruff, still waiting for the belleville shims for the RP’s 👿

beanieripper
    Free Member

Loco,

Thanks alot dude, much appreciated.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Foam Rings’ is closed to new replies.