Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rockshox Dual Air – What's it do?
  • transapp
    Free Member

I’m just getting an upgrade for some ageing Recon SL’s. The upgrade is due to wanting forks with a u-turn for the new full sus, so I’ve ended up going for some with dual air as well.
    So, what’s it do? Single air is obviously a spring replacement, so with a negative chamber, you positivly pressurise it to erm bounce backwards and erm, sod it, I don’t understand!
    Thoughs are it evens out the pressure of the +’ve chamber, but then isn’t it like having no pressure?
    Pointers please.

retro83
    Free Member

It allows you to adjust how much force it takes to compress the fork at the very start of the stroke.

Basically set it to the same as the pos, adjust it +-5 to tune the way the fork feels.

Same as pos = plush fork
    less neg than pos = firmer fork
    more neg than pos = very plush fork

One other thing, if you find the fork knocks, empty both chambers, fully inflate the pos, then set the neg.

transapp
    Free Member

Short, concise and helpful. Thank you.
    Are you sure you realised this was STW? 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What he said.

It’s basicaly a very small air chamber under the ‘spring’, set it the same pressure as the +ve and effectively the seals between the two are doing nothing so don’t need to be particularly tight and therefore have less friction.

Fox have a more complicated system where the +ve and -ve chambers are equalised by a bypass channel in the side of the shocks barrel, so that the pressures are equal at zero sag, but the bypass is closed as soon as the shock moves.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

transapp are you getting dual air or dual position air? You said you wanted adjustable travel, so presumably you understand the dual air are fixed travel, and the dual position air are the adjustable ones?

The dual position (120mm and 150mm) do not have a -ve chamber, so I guess they have the same kind of system as the Fox forks.

Edit – the above applies to the Revs which I’ve just fitted: I assume it’s the same for the other RS forks

transapp
    Free Member

I’m getting an older pair of the Revelation Dual Air 426 dual air U-turn, one of the few forks that has 100-13omm travel which is exactly what I wanted so I can run with that bit more sag and actually have a very supple 90-120 travel fork to match the Anthem X1. I think they come with dual air, if not I’m not bothered!

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

In that case, it’s as the others said. When you set them up, empty the -ve chamber, set the positive, then set the -ve.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Some (most?) dampers use a coil or elastometer spring as the -ve spring to improve reliability (not that dual air is unreliable).

Others do without any -ve spring and just have a +ve spring.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Dual Air – What's it do?’ is closed to new replies.