Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rockshox compression damper interchangeable?
  • iain65
    Free Member

Having seen 150mm Rockshox Sector R’s on sale at CRC (£179) it made me wonder if the compression dampers are interchangeable between Rockshox forks i.e. could you take a compression damper with lock out from a Revelation (or other model) and replace the Sector compression damper to gain a lockout function. From what I have read on the ‘net this seems possible but would appreciate any help from someone who has done this.
    Thanks,
    Iain

superdan

I’ve looked into this a bit (most recently at upgrading a Boxxer Race with the Team/WC compression and rebound, I have ordered an Avalanche Cartridge from the US for less cash).

Where stantion diameters are similar there are issues with the lengths of the rebound/compression dampers in different models, and the potential for them to run out of space at full travel.

Try it and see basically, I stuck the damper from some 888 RC2X into a blown 55 a few years back, mostly for the challenge. Worked OK.

iain65
    Free Member

Thanks, much appreciated – that makes sense regarding the lengths.
    Iain

evanssuspension
    Free Member

Provided the compression damper your fitting is the same length or shorter than the original one you’ll be fine.
    Just remeber to check your oil height – Should be about 10mm above the bottom of the compression damper.
    The only real difference between the dampers in terms of compatibilty is the ones for steel stanchions are larger diamater.

Entonox
    Free Member

iain65

You can get the Sektor TK SoloAir from Merlin for £215
    These forks have crown lockout and an aluminum steerer.

iain65
    Free Member

Entenox, thanks, I’d spotted the Merlin ones but I’ve still got all my wheels on 9mmQR so I’m loathed to start swapping over to a thru axle, too many bikes in the family (!) that I like to be interchangeable with wheels.

Evans, That’s useful information.

Thanks again to both.

warpcow
    Free Member

Right, this thing with fitting shorter compression dampers: is it not possible that you have to add so much extra oil that it forms a hydraulic lock before reaching full travel; say if you fit a comp. unit from an 80mm SID into a 150mm Sektor for example?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox compression damper interchangeable?’ is closed to new replies.