Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Rockshox Argyle & 30 Silver TK Forks
  • thepleasantpheasant
    Free Member

I’m in the the market for some new forks for a 4X/DJ/Trail build. The thing is I’ll be learning DJing on it and taking it to the pump track and skatepark in addition to the usual woods/trail riding so I’ll be falling a lot and will likely have a lot of harsh landings (in the quest to mastering high bunnyhops, and in learning how to hit dirt jumps) so durability is at the top of the priority list.

Out of the Rockshox range that are: 1 1/8″, 100mm, and coil sprung – there’s only the Argyle and the 30 Silver TK (Correct me if I’m wrong!)

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rockshox-argyle-rc-coil-forks-20mm-2017/rp-prod85103%5D

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/rockshox-30-silver-tk-coil-forks-9mmqr-2017/rp-prod151086%5D

Is the Argyle, set up with the stiffest spring, any good as general trail/XC/woods razzing type fork? If I get these I’d be getting it with the XXX-Firm (pink) spring, I’m currently 88kg. The arch does look quite tight though, compared to other RS forks which seem to have a wider and flatter crown. Do 26×2.5″ or larger tyres fit with decent mud clearance? In addition, what options are there for aftermarket non-QR 20mm thru axles that’ll work with these forks?

If I go with the TKs, I’d be getting the 27.5 versions with an X-firm (black) spring, despite my frame being a 26er. It’d give a higher axle to crown measurement than the Argyles but I don’t imagine it’d be much of an issue? These are much cheaper and only have 9mm QR dropouts, so I’d be getting a 9mm bolted thru axle. Hadley make one but they’ve sold out for a while… Are there any other manufacturers making something similar? Is durability an issue with these forks when it comes to jumping and that riding of that ilk?

I know these are pretty specific questions, though I guess these are fairly popular forks for older frames so if anyone’s got experience with either of these then any help would be appreciated!

Cheers!

warpcow
    Free Member

The 30 is a budget XC fork with spindly legs, not something you want on a play-bike. The Argyle is the same chassis as the old (oooold) Pike. Bombproof and plenty of clearance for 2.5″. There is no option for anything but 20mm axle though. For what you describe I’d still go for the Argyle and factor in a new wheel/hub over the 30. Or, check the german sites for Rebas with 1 1/8 steerers and qr lowers. Bike-discount had some last week iirc.

5lab

i used to run an argyle on a trail bike (as I wanted shortish travel and 20mm axel). it was very robust, with a firm spring it was fine for general trail riding. I would get one and get a spare spring – swapping them is a 2 min job, then you can ride jumps with them firm, and trail with them soft

failing that, the top level argyle used to be air sprung, this might give you the flexibility you want

thepleasantpheasant
    Free Member

The Argyle is sounding really tempting right now… but so is the Reba now I’ve checked it out. Reba looks better and is air sprung but the Argyle’s beefier, got a 20mm axle, IS mount, coil, and cheaper. Hmm… now I’ve typed it out, it’s a no brainer!

How often would one need to perform maintenance on the Argyle? One of the reasons I want to have coil forks is that they’re less of a hassle compared to air sprung units

PJM1974
    Free Member

As has already been pointed out, the Argyle is in fact the venerable 26″ Pike from 2004 vintage – the one in your link sports steel stanchions which won’t have worked wonders for the weight – presumably with altered damping characteristics.

You’re looking at 110x20mm hubs, which is 10x5mm betterer than the current trail standard and a chassis that is commendably stiff, if a little heavy. The Argyle takes IS mount disc brakes too, so you’ll need an adaptor for your post mount brake (assuming that your run a front brake). Coil sprung, steel steerer tubed Pikes weighed in excess of 2,300g, I would expect steel stanchioned Argyles to be heavier still. But you’re getting an absolute bombproof fork.

The whole raison d’être of the Pike is it’s 20mm bolt through chassis, so unless your current front wheel is adaptable to 20x110mm then you’ll need a new hub. It’ll be well worth it though, the Mk 1 Pike/Argyle is one tough fork and at 88kg you’ll be far better on this than a TK30 fork.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox Argyle & 30 Silver TK Forks’ is closed to new replies.