Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Rockshox, a few questions if l may.
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

The bike in question is full sus, 120 to 130 mm and taken on day rides around the peaks. Current fork is a float rl at 130mm although that was 120mm originally but what’s 10mm between friends?

Not familiar with the rockshox range but would it be fair to say we should be looking at sector or revelations? Fancy a bolt thru air fork for it.

So, the questions.
    How easy is it on either to drop 150 down to 130?
    Is 2012 dual air reliable or should we pay extra for the 2013 solo air?
    Never used the lock out on the fox so don’t need the lock out or threshold on the rock shox. But what technology is worth having on them? At what level does the good damping start?

What’s the real difference between sektor and revs anyway?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Please?

xdownhiller
    Free Member

i run a set of 2010 revs awsome with the floodgate
    its got the uturn system so you run between 120mm or 140mm
    much easier to service and lookafter than the fox
    you wont be disapointed look for a second hand pair i got mine for 150
    as for the diffrence between the sektors and revs i dont know
    but i highly rate the revs over the same fox forks

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers for that. One vote for the revs then. I was looking at new though. Wondering if the 2012 dual air was a problem or if it’s best to go for the new solo air for a more reliable fork.

In all fairness to the Fox, they’ve only ever needed an annual service and still look like new inside, they were never a problematic fork.

RoterStern
    Free Member

The dual air has never had any reliability issues more with set up. People not really understanding how it works. The SIDs also come in 120mm thru axle if you want some light weight forks. Or the Rebas for that matter.

I have also changed from Fox to RS mainly because of the ridiculous cost of the new Fox range but also because two of the three Fox forks I had issues with stanchion wear even though all had the same service schedule.

tomat0
    Free Member

Either fork is sound. Sektors might be a bit heavier and have a lower spec of compression damping. Only real issue i know of with dual air is bad seals between +and – chambers but its a fairly easy fix if your confident stripping forks down. They can be a bit more time consuming to set up too with regards to + and – air pressures.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

It was the dual position that had the reliability problems. The dual air will probably become the benchmark that all others are measured against.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks. So, it’s maybe now worth an extra £50 to get the 2013 solo rev over the 2012 dual air then?

xdownhiller
    Free Member

mine are dual airs and had no probs whatso ever if you read the setup manual and do the opposite of what it tells you haha
    as long as the negative has less than the posotive they work if not they suck the travel down
    but this is just my opinion i have had rockshox on my xc bikes and before that on all my dh bikes all i had was boxxers just a sram guy i suppose

LoCo
    Free Member

The solo airs need a complete new air assembly to reduce the travel, so it’ll work out more than an extra £50 if you want to lower the travel.
    The Dual position travel adjust system is pretty reliable, it’s the 2 step system that wasn’t very good that was fitted to the Lyriks a few years ago.
    All after market Revelation are tapered steerer for 2013 too.
    No issues with dual air reliabilty and allow extra adjustment/tuning options, still runnng my 2012 Dual air RCT3’s.
    Best Damping option is the RCT3 dampered ones.
    Hope that helps, now back to Rampage. 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers Loco. I very nearly hit the button on the 2013 assuming that the same travel reduction technique would work!

Looks like it’s the cheaper, dual air, 2012 version I’m after then. (am I right in thinking that’s just a shaft spacer to reduce travel then?)

BadlyWiredDog

What’s the real difference between sektor and revs anyway?

In addition to the above, as far as I know, the current Revs all have the Dual Flow rebound damper – better high speed performance – while Sektors have a more basic damper. Mostly fine but the fork can pack down over repeated high-speed hits – Think Potato Alley at full pelt – as the fork simply can’t extend fast enough.

The advantage of dual air over solo air is that you can tune the fork to you preference a little more by juggling relative negative and positive pressures.

Oh, and yeah, the travel reduction on dual air is by adding a spacer on the air spring side – ten minute job if you’re familiar with taking the lowers off and have a set of circlip pliers.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cool. Thanks all. 2012 rev rl just purchased.

xflow
    Free Member

Sektors are great value for money. My mate has them on his Boardman FS and I am always impressed. Get RL rather than TK as I beleive they offer better damping?

I’ve just bought 130mm 2013 Fox Float R CTD DRCV (how many letters) but only because I couldn’t find 130mm tapered Sektor RLs with 15mm axle.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox, a few questions if l may.’ is closed to new replies.