Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rockshox 15mm axle stuck/rounding off
  • jonba
    Free Member

So much swearing and I need help.

My 15mm axle is stuck. The cone thing that the lever handle presses into is made of cheese and has started to round off. I’ve cut a new straight edge and it did it again.

The lever is also damaged so I’m struggling.

Is there a bodge to get it off so I can ride on Tuesday? I have a spare one on another set of forks on a different bike so as long as I can free this one then I can fix it short term?

simondbarnes

Get some mole grips on it.

AlasdairMc

Plusgas to loosen any corrosion first, then put the bike down with lever facing up and push your weight onto the lever while you loosen it off.

I’ve got the same on a set of Rebas.

jonba
    Free Member

Does anyone know where my molgrips are?

Need to go buy some new ones tomorrow.

Have they now changed the design? The ones on wiggle don’t seem to look the same.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/rockshox-15mm-maxle-lite/

Rorschach
    Free Member

On the older ones if you removed the lever there was a 12/14mm? hex socket behind it to remove it.

twonks

The one you linked above is mk2 which is essentially a normal qr in operation with a much easier fastening and unlocking.

I have 2 rs forks. The first older design got stuck as yours, so the second was replaced as soon as I got round to it.

Cheaper on Amazon too.

jonba
    Free Member

No took off the lever and there is just a hole. Interestingly I think I’ve discovered why some people experience play and why I’ve had this problem. I didn’t realise how they work. I assume I have overtightened mine to reduce play. But the screwing of the maxle isn’t what does this. When it is tight it is the QR that stops the movement since it forces a cone into the end of the maxle holding it secure. It was actually probably that which was a little lose and you can adjust the lever with a 2.5mm allen key. This slight adjustment was probably all that was needed.

Still doesn’t explain why the collar is made out of cheese. I’d want it to be a bit of Steel not aluminium alloy.

jonba
    Free Member

Cheers twonks, will get one ordered. God knows what I’ve had done if this had have been out on the moors with a flat front tyre.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I didn’t realise how they work

You and a LOT of other people.

peter1979
    Free Member

The newer version is much more sturdier than the older version.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rockshox 15mm axle stuck/rounding off’ is closed to new replies.