Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • rockshox recon – pop lock problem
  • coconut
    Free Member

I have a rockshox Recon which has a really annoying reverse poplock. When the button in pushed in and the cable tensioned the fork bounces, slack cable and it locks out. So now the fork is only working around 60 to 70%… grrr… I have threaded a new cable and messed around loads with cable tension, but no joy. Anyway to jam it so it is permanently engaged ? before I send i back (only used about 15 times from new)

phunkmaster
    Free Member

You can disassemble the unit and remove the spring that returns it to the locked position. Quite a simple process. There is a video on YouTube. If you type in ‘Poplock service’.

[video]http://youtube.com/watch?v=BrR8IO3Lex4[/video]

otsdr
    Free Member

Once you go this way you might as well drop the entire compression assembly as well, as it becomes completely useless. Replace the top cap with a standard air spring cap and your are done. Bonus points if you add an IFP and slightly pressurize the area above it (something like this kit, but with a proper piston that will not flip around itself in the fork leg).

coconut
    Free Member

I may be missing something but surley removing the spring will leave the fork Locked out ?? The fork works with cable tension i.e the spring engaged, the default with no tension is locked.

jonk

Remove the spring and you can turn the cap by hand to lock / unlock the fork. I have done this recently with my Reba’s which won’t lock properly due to wear in the plastic top part of the damper.

nickdavies

Sounds like you have pushloc not poploc.

Removing the spring means it will be manual open or closed, you’ll need a new top cap to be easily able to adjust it. Unlike poploc you can’t just run it without the lever fully open and forget about it.

phunkmaster
    Free Member

If you want to disengage the lock (so you have travel) and you want to get rid of the bar mounted lever (which I assume you have) you can remove the spring, manually turn the dial and leave it there. Some people put an o ring under the dial to prevent it from moving back.

Alternatively you can thread a gear cable the opposite way through the guide on the top of the motion control unit so the stop of the cable slots into the guide (if you get me). With the allen key in the grub screw to turn the dial, pull the cable tight under the grub screw and sinch it up. Cut and put a cable end on it and it’s locked open.

I hope this makes some sense.

coconut
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. All clear now. I will remove the spring tomorrow and use a cable tie to hold the dial open.

many thanks for the advice. 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘rockshox recon – pop lock problem’ is closed to new replies.