• This topic has 19 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by iainc.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Rock'n'roll extreme – long lasting ?
  • iainc

Just applied this for the first time as its getting a bit wet and muddy for Squirt. I usually use MucOff C3 Ceramic come this time of year but thought I’d try a change. Looks like RnR is a pricey option as one ‘dose’ used about a seventh of the bottle…..

sam_underhill

I think you used a bit too much. You are supposed to make sure the chain is well coated but you may have gone a little too far.
    In the summer I tend to relube with r&r after every few rides. In the winter the inevitability is that the bike is hosed down after each ride which means a relube. 1 big bottle tends to last about 8 months for 2 of of us riding 2 or 3 times per week.

iainc

Ah, the instructions understandably encourage liberal dousing by spraying in a stream on chain at cassette while backpedaling. Will be interested to see how it holds up on the muddier trails that have now replaced the dust in west of Scotland !

dudeofdoom

+1 on the overlube 🙂

My big one also last nearly a year .l just dribble it on Sparingly an wipe it off.

iainc

OK, sounds like I used a bit much 😳 will be interested to see how it performs, cheers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

It lasts longer than squirt, but not as long as C3, but your chain doesn’t end up a black mess like it does with C3.

jameso

Unscientific test but based on taking a small bottle dry lube on multi-day rides I’ve found Finish Line Teflon Dry to be more durable, especially the newer formula.

iainc

Thanks, will report back on performance 😀

Suggsey
    Free Member

I get through gallons of the stuff and based on cost per use I’m going back to C3 this winter and cleaning the chain and cassette traditional style…….plus I’ve run out of old bath towels for chain polishing 😆

bigjim

I use this lube in the summer and like it, chain stays nice and clean, however does not last in mud and wet so have just switched back to green oil for the winter. Does sound like you put too much on though,

SOAP
    Free Member

Clean your bike then put shit loads on then wipe it off before you ride. It’s Great!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Much difference between this and the gold??
    It does recommend cleaning in advance (not sure how much difference it makes)

iainc

I have been on Squirt since about May and really rate it in ‘summer’ but it washes off quite quickly once trails get wet. I am hoping that the rock’n’roll is a cleaner winter alternative to C3, which I rate but needs regular cleaning off.

iainc

Didn’t hold up at all well at a wet and splashy Glentress today. Chain felt and sounded as if it had no lube at all after an hour. Back to the C3 wet for the winter methinks !

mikey74
    Free Member

I find that it barely lasts 2 30-40 mile road rides. I’ve got some Purple Extreme stuff to try out next.

neil853
    Free Member

I’ve tried it and found it rubbish, doesn’t last long at all. Tried all sorts but always got back to finish line wet and dry with regular cleaning

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Every time I come in from a wet ride, I give the chain a quick dry from an old towel, then reapply before putting the bike away. It seems to last longer than applying pre ride, as it gets washed off too easily then. And you hardly need any really, no need to slosh it about.

Been using this for over 5 years.

milky1980
    Free Member

Same experience here, works really well in all conditions if you reapply after a ride and let it set inside the chain. Remember to have the bottle warm so it mixes properly and give it a good shake just before applying, makes all the difference.

The only lube I’ve found that lasts a whole day in grit and slop 🙂

Blurboy
    Free Member

I use rock & roll when travelling but normally I use a light motorcycle racing lube from an aerosol. I saturate the chain with the spray and then wipe off surplus. Lasts for 2 or 3 rides, maybe up to 7or 8 hours in total, even in Woburn sand and mud. £10 aerosol lasts up to a year.

iainc

I guess I’ll give out another go given some of responses. I had applied night before and as per OP probably overapplied 😛 drivetrain was spotless before putting it on so don’t know why it washed away so quickly.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Rock'n'roll extreme – long lasting ?’ is closed to new replies.