Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rockhopper upgrade or not??
  • theacereturns
    Free Member

Im pretty new to biking and new on here so go easy! I could do with some good advice.
    I currently have a Specialized Rockhopper 21" frame. Ive always found it a little big so have finally decided to do something about it.
    I was thinking of buying a good frame (perhaps a genesis altitude 30) at 19" and transferring all the other bits to the new frame. I could then upgrade other bits to a higher spec over time.
    Is this a good idea? or is this doomed to fail?
    I could really do with some help here
    Cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

You will find some stuff doesn't fit or needs replacing – seatpost & clamp, front mech,, possibly bb, cables/hoses.

So it can add up, do the sums first!

stumpy01

First of all, make sure the frame your planning on getting will be a fit.

Then, as above work out what will fit & what you will have to replace. Do the sums to see how much the replacement bits will cost & decide if you can afford it/it's worth doing.

On the face of it, it's a good idea, rather than putting up with an ill fitting bike. You can always flog the bits that won't swap over to recoup some of the cost of new parts.

I bought an On One Inbred frame to transfer the bits from my old full sus to, when I replaced it with a new shiny one.
    I bought new:
    – seatpost (different dia. seat tube) ~£15
    – front mech (old frame was e-type mount, not normal band fitment) ~£25
    – saddle (not essential, but old one was knackered) ~£23
    – bottom bracket (only as old one was knackered) ~£30
    – shifters (not essential, but old ones were shagged) ~35

so only £40 of necessary new bits to get it going. Although you'll probably want new cables too.
    Just make sure you have enough steerer tube length for the new frame. A new fork could get pricey….

racing_ralph
    Free Member

If you are fancying Full Sus – give me an email (its in my profile). Goat frame that would transfer everything from the spesh onto

JonR
    Free Member

If you have the knowhow to do it and like a good tinker then why not? Make sure you check the headtube lenthy to make sure your forks will fit (shouldn't be a problem but better safe than sorry), checked your BB shell width is the same, maybe have a check on the hose routing on a new frame to make sure your brake hoses will be okay and be prepared to recable the mechs but you should be fine.

Wozza
    Free Member

Rockhoppers are great, I had the 2007 M4 version and it rode better than many other things i'd tried before or after. I was hard pushed to find a single difference between that and the M5 Stumpy from a year or two before.

If price and compatibility are a concern have a look out for another Spesh frame in your size, they come up all the time, I managed to swap everything off the rockhopper onto an Epic without too much trouble.

theacereturns
    Free Member

Brilliant tips guys, ta very much.
    I'll keep a look out for a 19" rockhopper frame as that would probably be easiest and cheapest as I like my current bike, just a pity its a bit big.

In the mean time I'll measure up my current bike for an upgrade. If i get a good frame I can then slowly upgrade until I have a real good set up.
    Decisions decisions….

Kevevs
    Free Member

I rode a bike that was too big for ages when I got back into bikes (a 21" '99 rockhopper as it happens) then bought a nice 2nd hand 18" frame. It made a world of difference. You're really limiting your enjoyment of cycling by riding an ill fitting bike. which is a shame.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rockhopper upgrade or not??’ is closed to new replies.