Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rocket Rons – how wide would you go?
  • ibnchris

After optimistically buying some nice fast dry tyres for the Kielder next weekend I've finally given in and realised I'm going to need something with a bit more grab. CRC have got a few quid off the Rocket Ron 1.8, a few less quid off the 2.25 and even less off the 2.1.

I think the 2.1 is probably the tyres of choice but am tempted by the 1.8 because I'm a) tight b) thinking they might be a little faster.

Tips?

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

Normally I'd say 2.1s- I run them all the time on my race bike and they're narrow enough to be fast but wide enough to be good in the tech, but for the 100 I'd go 1.8- there's a lot of fire road and as little drag as possible is needed.

ibnchris

Thanks – that's few quid saved then…

stephen_james
    Free Member

Er, I'd strongly disagree actually. Contrary to popular belief, narrow tyres do not roll better and are nadgy in technical sections, especially over roots and bumpy/rocky sections. Also you have to run way higher pressures than a big volume tyre and that compounds the situation.

Rocket Rons also come up small so you need a 2.25 to match the volume of a 2.1 Ralph for instance. I would not use a 1.8 (or even a 2.1) Ron unless its for super gloopy sticky mud where clogging is an issue. If you want my advice, send back the 1.8's and go for 2.25's.

Big volume for me all day long be it XC race or enduro. 2.2 Race Kings, 2.25 or 2.4 ralphs/rons etc run tubeless at around 22-25psi.

Stephen James
    MODA UK

anth1968
    Free Member

Just use Maxxis Highrollers better tyre just depends if you want the tart look or not.

poppa
    Free Member

Yeah, Maxxis High Rollers will be much better for fire roads 🙄

thomthumb
    Free Member

what stephen says the big volume fast schwalbe tires are the best thing invented ever.

2.4 racing ralphs are the best enduro tyre imo.

anth1968
    Free Member

Racing Ralphs , Rocket Rons , There looks only Maxxis wipe them. if you want dry and fast try Kenda 8 block.

thomthumb
    Free Member

There looks only Maxxis wipe them

can you write that in english?

ac282

Maxxis make great tyres but I've never had much luck setting them up tubless. Ralphs & Nics go up on with no trouble.

BTW kielder is mostly gravel and rock. I doubt mud tyres will be the best option

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rocket Rons – how wide would you go?’ is closed to new replies.