Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rocket rons
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

Considering a lengthy road ride (manchester to blackpool) on these in 2.25. I’m a bit skint so don’t really want to shell out for new tyres unless i have to. Is it worth getting some cheapo some slicks or do these perform ok on the road? I’m also doing the coast to coast next year so will be interesting to see how they roll if I go for it on them.

gee
    Free Member

Will be very slow as they are quite nobbly… Get some cheap slicks.

mocha
    Free Member

What he said ?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mickolas
    Free Member

conti sport contacts 1.3″ from parker international. unless you’re heavy/carrying a load – then vittoria rubino slick mtb 1.5″ from wiggle

leythervegas
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. So if I’m going to buy new tyres can you suggest some that wound be good for the coast to coast ride? I’ve looked everywhere and they all seem way too slick or too focused on off road

mickolas
    Free Member

personally I’ve used schwalbe hurricanes but they will only stand light offroading – surprisingly good in dry conditions. brilliant on wet roads but mud is an absolute no-no.

used to know a guy who trekked with mtb pals on conti double fighters and reckoned they were okay but I never witnessed it first hand.

outside of my personal experience but reckon you ought to be looking at one of cyclocross crossover tyres such as racing ralph or kenda small block 8. at budget level, I notice that schwalbe land cruisers get good reviews for the type of use you would be putting them to

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I disagree. Rocket robs run quite nicely. For the sake of one ride, get plenty of air in there and they’le run fine. Yes, they’re knobbly, but they’re small knobs, closely stacked and staggered so they run smoothly. Of course slicks will be slightly better, but Buy a air of tyres for one ride? That’s just pointless – you’re better off borrowing a road bike off someone before you so that. Save your money for a Kiss Me Quick hat and a few goes on the rides in the Pleasure Beach.

mickolas
    Free Member

never run rocket rons but I like wobbli’s thinking. unless they are a particularly soft compound and you are likely to completely wear them out on thw C2C. in which case you will be buying new tyres anyway.

leythervegas
    Free Member

Cheers everyone, think I may try the increased psi in the Rons for the Blackpool ride. If its too hard ill look at some slicker tyres for the coast to coast.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rocket rons’ is closed to new replies.