Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rocket Ron: front or rear?
  • wedge
    Free Member

As above really… is the Rocket Ron intended for use up front or behind? Am thinking swapping my Racing Ralph at the back for a Rocket Ron (bit more grip), and keeping a Nobby Nic up front. Any opinions?

tazzymtb

front and rear for me, works fine

rickon
    Free Member

RoRo front and rear or RoRo front and RaRa rear.

Simples.

Amazing tyres, by a long way my favourite tyre, known to be a bit thin – but if you ride smooth enough and not over slatey ground it’s not an issue.

Tubeless them, as they are so easy to inflate with a track pump out of the box.

wedge
    Free Member

Tazzy: Now let’s say you only had one Rocket Ron… would you stick it up front or at the rear, and what would you pair it with… for a general purpose setup that can cope OK with most conditions?

Rickon: RoRo up front in preference to NoNi? Reason being?

tazzymtb

nic front ron rear if that’s what you’ve got, for dry summer racing ron front fred rear.

As above ace in pacestar tubeless ready at about 20psi for me

cardo

On the rear wheel, paired up with a Nobby Nic on the front for grip , works for me…

rickon
    Free Member

NoNi has worse rolling resistance, and the RoRo has more than enough grip for pretty much anything that’s not full-on DH.

wedge
    Free Member

OK, thanks. Sounds like it is versatile enough to stick pretty much anywhere. Will mix things up a bit and see what feels right.

MrGreedy

tazzymtb – Member

front and rear for me, works fine

^This

I’ve kept a Nobby on my spare front wheel for races just in case over the winter, but never needed it in the end, the Rons have been excellent (Thetford Winter Series so no rocks to worry about). If it’s sloppy enough then Nic on the front and Ron on the rear would be fine, otherwise the Nic is a bit too draggy.

wedge
    Free Member

Would it be fair to say that the Ron is somewhere between the Ralph and the Nic in terms of both grip and rolling resistance, and hence can be treated accordingly if you already have a Ralph/Nic setup? E.g. swap front Nic for Ron for better rolling (though slightly less grip), or swap rear Ralph for Ron for better grip (though slightly worse rolling), or similarly swap both for Ron?

njee20
    Free Member

nic front ron rear if that’s what you’ve got, for dry summer racing ron front fred rear.

+1, although I use them both ends generally.

Would it be fair to say that the Ron is somewhere between the Ralph and the Nic in terms of both grip and rolling resistance

Ron is lighter than either, more central tread than a Ralph, but less on the shoulders. They’re different. If pushed I’d say a Ron was quicker, but they work best when there’s something to bite into. Ralphs are better if it’s really firm.

wedge
    Free Member

njee: thanks. How would you characterise the differences between the Ron and the Nic?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rocket Ron: front or rear?’ is closed to new replies.