Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rock Shox Revelation 426 U-Turn Air 100-130mm
  • scandal42
    Free Member

Are these forks any good? what kind of weight do they come in at?

I am going to attempt to gnarl up my On-One Scandal, although I know 100mm is recommended for the frame I want to have a go at trying some more travel and hit the trails that bit harder. having owned the frame for a good year now and ridden it everywhere from Brenin to The Long Mynd I think she could take the hits.

Anyone have any previous experience of enduroing* up a Scandal? (copyright pending)

Was also going to go 2×9 (money saver) and get a dropper post and some tubeless rims.

Any info/help/insults appreciated

Northwind

I had a set of those, very good- not the most cutting edge damping but very effective, weight’s in the 1700g-ish area…

Having said that, I put them in my Scandal and it rode like a bag of arse at anything over 110mm. It was officially rated for up to 130mm but there was a difference between “strong enough” and “any good at it”. Brilliant at 100mm mind.

scandal42
    Free Member

Cheers Northwind,

Was the type of comment I was expecting to be fair, it’s a shame it’s that bad at anything over 110, I was hoping the slackening of the angle would be an improvement pointing downwards.

I imagine it would be awful climbing at above 110, is it that bad going in the other direction?

mangatank
    Free Member

(Whispers): 4-5-6 E2…much cheapness 😉

Northwind

Bit of give and take, it felt bargey and tall, but it could smash over rocks and stuff better. But on balance i preferred it shorter even when descending, less brute force but more control.

Maybe I’m not being fair, I got on with it well enough for a while but as soon as I rode a hardtail that was suited to it (a Soul) all I could see was the drawbacks. It was also a bit small for me so that probably exaggerated things.

scandal42
    Free Member

I have had the same thoughts mangatank, but I can’t really afford a new frame and the new forks and everything else on top, and really love the Scandal.

sefton
    Free Member

I have some reba uturns 90-120 in silver – thinking about selling them £175

under 20 rides

scandal42
    Free Member

I think I might buy a decent second hand pair of revelations and just try it out, worse thing that happens is I sell the forks I suppose.

The Rebas I’m using at the mo are fantastic though, so I have something nice and plush to compare them to.

scandal42
    Free Member

Any chance of a pic Sefton?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Ive got some white 426 air revs – if i can find some pikes to replace id sell them

scandal42
    Free Member

I would be looking for black, sorry.

mangatank
    Free Member

I’ve got a ScAndal (first edition no less), and it’s an epic XC muncher. Compared to modern 456 geometry ( in the form of a ti 456 in my case) though, there’s no real comparison I’m afraid. I upped the travel on the ScAndal to 130 mm briefly and it felt inappropriate to say the least. The 456 is an un-defused bomb however. I’d say stick with the ScAndal in its intended form ( easier said than done once the bug bites), and make the 456 an Xmas project.

scandal42
    Free Member

Thanks for the input mangatank, can I ask what exactly was the downfall of the bike when ran with longer travel?

mangatank
    Free Member

Oh it just felt over-forked for the frame material. The original ScAndal was a semi-racing frame for On-One at the time. That Scandium rear triangle really gave the frame an almost steel-like liveliness. It was/is a wonderful design. Crashing down a scree track at 30mph on a compliant frame like that…I was always holding back. Partly through fear of stressing the frame, and through fear of breaking what was becoming a rare classic.

The 456 evo geometry shares a lot with the Scan, but the difference in downhill performance is, well, it’s not comparable. In fact, with the spring and weight saving of Ti, I’d day it betters the ScAndal in pretty much every category, except weight. In its final build, my Scan was only just heavier than my hack road bike. A frame like that isn’t really made for big stuff.

Brilliant frame though.

scandal42
    Free Member

Thanks, its good to hear some real world opinion.

My frame is the newer version, lacking in scandium I believe. I think ill give it wirl and I can always run the revs at 100-115 if its a disaster.

I can take 15mm of spacers out of my current setup to cancel out a bit of the height gain on the front end, and I was thinking of changing from 35mm risers to something nearer the flatter end of the spectrum, although not fully flat.

Everyones opinions are much appreciated, if I get the forks I’ve got my eye on ill post my personal findings for anyone interested.

Any general Scandal tips are of coure welcome in the meantime.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rock Shox Revelation 426 U-Turn Air 100-130mm’ is closed to new replies.