• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by dlb1.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Rock shox pike wiper seal.
  • dlb1
    Free Member

Hello all.
    I am going to give my pikes a lower leg service including changing the wiper seals.
    Has any one replaced them without using the rock shox “seating tool”?
    I could do without spending more money and waiting for the part to be delivered.
    Cheers

stumpy01

Short section of appropriate pipe that white plumbing pipe or similar), smooth the end of nicely and a rubber mallet should do it.

Just be careful of those little springs, that pull the seal into the fork leg.

LoCo
    Free Member

as above should work, carefull on depth they go in a no lip on the seal so you are able to push them in too far if you’re not careful which will compress the foam ring and increase the likelyhood of it jamming the uppers

deadkenny
    Free Member

I bodged it with one pair of seals and it was a fair bit of faff. Though I wonder if it was than fancy low friction seals I got that made it harder to push them in.

Doing the Lyriks recently I went for the tool. I don’t have bits of pipe that are the right size to bodge properly. The tool was simple. Yes it’s £20 for a piece of plastic, although it works fine and is a heavy chunk of plastic or whatever. In fact looking at it, it looks like something that’s come out of a 3D printer, or could do 😉

dlb1
    Free Member

Ok cheers guys, piece of pipe shouldn’t be to hard to find. Is it possible to seat by hand though?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Rock shox pike wiper seal.’ is closed to new replies.