Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Rock Shox Pike, Sektor, Lyrik or Revelations coil u-turns. Differences?
  • peteredm
    Free Member

Help I need to replace my forks (Manitou Sherman Firefly – cracking forks that have lasted well) 20mm bolt through on my hardtail (old ruckus – more zasker style) as upper legs have worn through anodising to the metal.

Was think pike coil u-turns (454?) found a good price (£400) tried to order but sold out and seem to be every where as now discontinued.

Thinking best to go for a rock shox coil u-turn (good value?), not down with air and the travel adjust of u-turn sounds good.

Should I hunt for a new pair of 2010 pikes or go 2010/11 on either Sektor, Lyrik or Revelations and what are the difference between these three?

Any advice greatly appreciated, not really kept up with new products as sherman’s were so good.

Thanks

snakebite
    Free Member

Lyriks are 36mm stanchion and 160-180 travel, Sektor and Revs are 32mm and come in 140 and 150mm travel. I have all 3, recently adding Sektor coil uturns and they seem a good fork. I’ve had 454 Pikes as well, and the coil Sektors appear to be the replacement model. Good prices on the Sektor as well.

peteredm
    Free Member

Thanks snakebite.

Do the 2010 pikes (coil u-turn) have any features over the sektors 2010/11 (again coil u-turn), which is the better/prefered fork of choice?

snakebite
    Free Member

The Pikes are heavier and have the old maxle, Sektors have the maxle lite and are white (RL coil uturn version)-Pikes were the fork to have, you would hope the newer versions are better still….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The Sektors probably wont be as strong or stiff since there a bit lighter. Either pikes or sektors would be fine, lyriks would be a bit much for a Rukus i think

akira

Um, Lyriks are 115-160mm travel, with some long travel 170mm available as well.
    Sektors are basically a cheaper version of the Revelation.
    I would go for Sektors for value for money.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Keep an eye out on e-bay for Pikes. I picked up some nearly new coil 454’s for £250. The steerer wasn’t even cut and they were box fresh.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’d look at SIDs, Totems and Boxxers also 😀

geetee1972
    Free Member

Freeborn Pike £385

01403 251 252

The Pike is a great fork.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Sektor and New Rev’s are the Trail forks replaceing the old Revs and 130mm recons. The Pike was an odd one out, it was originaly a heavy duty fork (there was nothing else between it and the boxxer) but peoples riding demanded (or marketing did) a 140mm trail fork so people bought the Pike and lived with the added weight.

Pikes arguably are now the Lyric in terms of the market they were origainly aimed at if not in travel.

markenduro
    Free Member

i have just swapped to lyrik air from pike air and the damping is so much better on the lyriks. I would recommend the lyriks for that reason

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member
    peteredm
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies

From a BMX/DH background I definitely want a strong set-up so like the idea of the pikes in a 20mm axle, the sektors also look good but are lighter (weaker?)

Ride the bike everyday (single track to work) & general hacking everywhere manualling and jumping off everything I can see, plus the longer epic rides at Afan etc..

Thinking no to the revs as can’t see a coil u-turn option, only air.

The extra servicing air needs and just the general feel of a coil spring just works for me too.

LoCo
    Free Member

Sektor due in about the 20th of this month, give me a shout 😉

retro83
    Free Member

markenduro – Member

i have just swapped to lyrik air from pike air and the damping is so much better on the lyriks. I would recommend the lyriks for that reason

Agreed. Wish they’d do a coil version of the Rev or Sektor with something like the mission control DH damper. No floodgate, no platform, just shimmed comp + rebound.
    I was looking at getting one of the Marzocchi 44 RC3 forks to replace my Pike next year. Looks to be just the ticket.

veedubba

I have a set of coil u-turn Pikes I’m thinking of selling in order to replace with some lighter forks.

Let me know if you’re interested.

LoCo
    Free Member

retro83 – Member

Agreed. Wish they’d do a coil version of the Rev or Sektor with something like the mission control DH damper. No floodgate, no platform, just shimmed comp + rebound.

Something I’m working on 😉

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve run coil Pikes and coil Sektors and the Pikes are heavier (by about 300g IIRC) but are burlier and stiffer in use. The Sektors are plusher though, although I’m comparing well-used Pikes with brand spanking Sektors.

It’s a close call I think, between Pikes and Sektors. If you want something really tough then the Pikes are an excellent fork – reliable, stiff, not too hefty. The Sektors are lighter but don’t quite hang in there like the Pikes when you really hammer them.

scottidog
    Free Member

Aren’t the new Argyles basically the same as Pikes?

ferrit
    Free Member

Previously ran coil Pikes which were great, but now running Marzocchi 44RC3s. These are in a different league.

Absolutely flawless. Coil + light + 3 year no service warranty = win.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I wish they’d do a U-Turn Totem please!

retro83
    Free Member

LoCo – Member
    Something I ‘ m working on

Hell yes!

peteredm
    Free Member

Well tempted with new 2010 pike coil u-turns from freeborn at £385, don’t think I’m going to get better value unless I find something off eBay.

What’s the deal with disc mounts these days, is IS being phased out for post mount?

billyboulders
    Free Member

I’ve run coil pikes for four years on my (only bike) hardtails and I love them. Solid and reliable. You won’t go wrong with them. They are weighty tho, since getting a newer (lighter) frame earlier this year I have started to notice all that weight up front. Although it could all just be in the mind -a new frame does justify new forks, doesn’t it? And I do Like the look of those Marzocchi’s 😉

*slight hijack* Do you notice much or any difference in stiffness/solid tracking in the Marz, compared to the Pikes ferrit? Given the lighter weight, 15mm as opposed to 20mm axle etc.

pastcaring
    Free Member

LoCo – Member
    retro83 – Member

Something I’m working on

loco, any more info? please

LoCo
    Free Member

pastcaring,

development stage at present, details to follow in the coming months 🙂

retro83
    Free Member

#
    LoCo – Member

pastcaring,

development stage at present, details to follow in the coming months
    Posted 23 minutes ago # Report-Post

Well if you need testers … 😉

peteredm
    Free Member

Thanks geetee1972, went with them at £385.

ChunkyMTB, that was a steal!!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Yep, well chuffed with them.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Rock Shox Pike, Sektor, Lyrik or Revelations coil u-turns. Differences?’ is closed to new replies.