Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Rock Shox Lyrik Solo Air 170mm – too much for everyday?
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Hi

I've just noticed the bargainous lyriks on merlin website and am thinking of upgrading from my 160mm wotans.

Now tbh I've always thought that the wotans are the limit of what I'd want on a do-it-all bike..

has anyone ridden the 170mm lyriks? Are they really too much / too wallowy for Peaks riding / trail centres (as well as the obvious rougher stuff I'd use them for)??

thanks

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Having recently pedalled my 33.5lb, coil Lyrik equipped Pitch up a 3.5 mile climb in the Yorkshire Dales, I'd say you'll be fine.
    Forks are only wallowy if you've set them up wrong. 🙂

Vortexracing

I have 66sl's on my Alpine and I run them at no more than 150mm for everyday stuff,

I would have thought a 160mm fork on a bike was more than enough for most of us.

and in answer to your queastion IMHO I think 170mm is a bit much for everyday riding.

but everybody has a different view.

and when did £650 for a fork become a bargain?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richc
    Free Member

£585 on merlin though, and you can apparently reduce the travel using spacers as well. I am tempted to try them, but its a toss up between then and some Van 36 R's from a LBS

tinsy
    Free Member

My car was £600, My latest budget build alps bike is running at £410 for a full bike. (pics next week).

I say are you really going to notice 10mm more? its not a deal breaker as far has handling goes, if you fancy them, buy them..

I am jelous, but then I have had my days of disposable income. 🙂

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Ah it didn't occur to me that you could reduce the travel; that kind of sells them to me.

They're about the same weight as the Fox 36 float RC2 but a fare bit cheaper at the moment..

ooOOoo
    Free Member

Will 5.88% more travel really make that much difference to you?
    If they have the flodgate then that can make much more difference

krag
    Free Member

tinsy: Be interested to see those pics for inspiration, I'm looking at builing up something cheap for Morzine and I'm on tight budget!

tracknicko
    Free Member

got some coils for sale if you want a cheaper option. new. email me…

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Will 5.88% more travel really make that much difference to you?

Probably not but I figure there must be a point at which forks get too long for all-day use ( I feel like the Wotans are as long as I want to go).

tracknicko – I've moved away from coils as I can never get them to feel right. I had some Fox 36 Vans and the medium was too soft (even with max preload) and the firm was too er… firm..

tracknicko
    Free Member

ah well, cant blame a guy for trying.

IMO 10 or 20mm can make a fairly massive difference.

had 150 on my trance recently and it handled like an absolute sack of sh1t.

knocked them down to 130… absolutely perfect. maybe 10mm is less of a difference.. but still.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Yeah I think if I did get them then I'd reduce them to 150 or 160mm..

tbh I would go for something light like a RS Rev 150mm or Fox 32 but my occasional DH riding really warrants something a bit tougher..

tracknicko
    Free Member

revs are what im running.

easily as tuff as my pikes, which i always thought were pretty tough…

its all in the mind mate 😉

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I've heard of revs coming apart on bigger stuff though… and I'm a fairly clumsy 15 stone …

.. and revs would look waaaaay too skinny on my Foes.. ! 🙂

poppa
    Free Member

If they are significantly better forks than your current ones then buy them and reduce the travel. If they are not significantly better forks, what's the point?

tracknicko
    Free Member

give over. i've heard of foes' coming apart on rough stuff 😉

back in the early naughties my mate had some z1 4 inch single crown on his mono dhs. those were the days!

dasnut
    Free Member

I've heard of revs coming apart on bigger stuff though…

🙄

what nonsense is this?

if you've got £600 burning a hole, buy some lyriks. I found them too long and not as good as totems, but then that was for their proper use, i.e. not a trial bike for the peaks, where Pikes will excel on pretty much anything

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

give over. i've heard of foes' coming apart on rough stuff

😀

what nonsense is this?

Well I'm talking properly rough stuff i.e. DH.. that's the thing, I need something capable of the odd DH day without too much worry..

My current Wotans are great but I really could do with losing some weight from the bike, hence considering an upgrade..

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

.. and Pikes are just a little bit too short for my bike :-/

geetee1972
    Free Member

Ropey – I wonder whether the bigger difference will be between the damping of the two forks. That may prove to be the bigger upgrade than the travel.

I doubt you'd notice the extra 10mm travel in itself, other than the small changes to geometry that will follow but I think (and I don't know for sure) that the damping on RS (and Fox) forks may be better than on the Maguras.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Yeah, there is that. I can only compare my air wotans to the previous coil fox 36's..

the 36's were a bit smoother and tadge more controlled but tbh I rarely notice such things whilst riding, my mind being nearly entirely occupied with missing the next tree / sheep / rambler..

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Rock Shox Lyrik Solo Air 170mm – too much for everyday?’ is closed to new replies.