Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Rock Shox Lyrik forks
  • Stevet1
    Free Member

Can any knowledgeable person tell me about the different versions of RS lyric – Coil vs air spring, any years perform better or worse than others. Also – are all versions internally adjustable?
    Cheers.

jam-bo

Stay well clear of two-steps.

_tom_
    Free Member

RC2DH seem to be the ones to go for. I’ve just got a set of the 170mm ones for my Voltage, yet to use em properly but they feel nice bouncing round my garden haha.

stevied
    Free Member

My RC2DH are very good. Much better control than my old Vanilla 36’s..

BoardinBob

2014 RC2DH here. Awesome fork. Had an older 2008 Lyrik before with the Mission Control damper but these ones are way better.

scruff
    Free Member

I have 170mm R2D2’s with a spacer so they are at 150mm. Good solid forks, I don’t every mess with the setting, enough low speed so they dont dive or bob and thats it. I had some coil ones previously, cant say they were any more controlled than the airs.

Northwind

Great forks… My 2-step exploded in the post before I ever got to fit it 😆 Quality. Converted to U-turn, never looked back. And you don’t want the R version without compression damping adjustment, it’s a much worse fork and you can get full mission control for not much more.

The solo air spring is actually good, think it’s bigger than most. But I reckon these days if you want light you should probably get a Pike, since even with an air spring the Lyrik’s a big slab of metal. I prefer the performance of the Lyrik but it’ll never be light. Height adjustment, I don’t know about, I’d think it’s alltravel spacers for the air.

The damping in the Mission Control versions is actually all pretty similiar, and all good. The Lyrik DH has no propedal/lockout setting which is no loss, and does perform better as a result but you can easily remove that from older forks to get pretty equivalent performance. I can’t remember when the dual flow rebound adjuster came in, quite late on, it’s worth having but not gamechanging.

There’s no terrible Lyriks, they use the Domain as the budget version mostly. Mine are fantastic, I’m a weight weenie but they’re so damn good I don’t mind.

robj20
    Free Member

2013/2014 170mm RC2DH here as well, fantastic fork.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Why Jambo?

I have two steps (never touch that dial though as I run 160mm all the time)

Cracking fork and waiting for the air spring to die as I have a coil replacement for it when it does

_tom_
    Free Member

Sorry for a slight hijack but how do you guys with air versions have yours set up? I’m about 74kg, found to get the right level of sag that I need to put in way more air than suggested but then they don’t feel very plush or sensitive – better off putting less air in and more low speed compression clicked on? I’ve currently got both compression settings soft as possible. Going for a ride on Thurs to try and get it sorted so any tips would be great.

robj20
    Free Member

Mine are set at 35% sag, 6 clicks of LSC, 3 clicks of HSC and 12 clicks on the rebound.

jam-bo

Two step might have got sorted but internals I had turned to one step fairly rapidly, got warrantied and did the same thing a few hours later.

The solo air kit I fitted instead has been flawless. Running mine at 140mm (20mm spacers
    Under the air shaft)

sv

The MiCo damper has a revision in 2010, think they also added the fatter rebound damper then to.

almightydutch
    Free Member

No idea Jam Bo, I’ll have to twiddle the lever later to see if they still compress…and more importantly rise back up afterwards.

jam-bo

Mine would creep down to the lower setting over the course of a ride.

Milkie
    Free Member

I see a lot of others have beat me to it! Stay away from the 2 Step!

When will Fox release 2015 Fox 36 180/180mm Talas fork.. I’m guessing 2016. 😕

Tracey

We were running two sets of these, both 2 steps, with no problems. Sold them on as they were straight steerer and needed tapered to swap between bikes with no hassle. Bought a second hand 2 step set with tapered steerer which on arrival weren’t working right. TF Tunned modified them to coil wind down with an extra soft spring but this is too stiff to get full travel for a 9 stone rider. They are now been used as a spare set if needed. Got some 2 step Pikes on mine now and Abigale has the X Fusion Slants DTAs. Both seem to perform better than the Lyriks. Pikes were replaced under warranty as they didn’t work from the first ride.

deadkenny
    Free Member

+1 on the RC2DH. Solo Air myself @ 170mm.

Though I’ve not tried the rest so can’t compare.

Key though is to get your head round setting up both LS and HS compression. Went for ages with just a generic “dunno, that will do” setting and forgetting about it. Was nice, but then I got Pikes on my other bike and the small bump feeling on that was much nicer. Now realising what it could be like for that, I fiddled a lot and think I’ve got it about right but might occasionally need a tweak for different kinds of trails.

teethgrinder

Is it easy to tell tell whether adjustments of the low and high speed compression settings are having having any effect without riding? Seems to make no obvious difference for me.

Northwind

I found it pretty obvious and easy to work with tbh- it’s a pretty powerful adjuster and doesn’t have too much overlap between the two

scruff
    Free Member

teethgrinder, you shoudl be able to tell lowspeed by stand up pedalling in the street and braking really sharply. High speed try banging the wheel down hard from a wheelie or riding straight at curbs.

teethgrinder

Something is up with mine, then. I’ll strip them down and check the oil levels tonight. Using 10wt oil if that make a difference…

The adjusters seem to make no difference on mine. Either on the original MiCo unit or the replacement unused 2nd hand DH MiCo unit (I know the rebound assembly should be changed, but I didn’t bother).

Stevet1
    Free Member

I reckon these days if you want light you should probably get a Pike
    Need a straight steerer so I’m looking at Lyriks as being the best 140mm all mountain(!) fork available with a straight steerer.

teethgrinder

Re-shimmed the DH MiCo damper and used the non-DH tube and valve head tonight.

Certainly seems to have made a difference to the LSC just moving the damper rod by hand but won’t be able to fully tell until I get the Spitfire built up.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Rock Shox Lyrik forks’ is closed to new replies.