Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Rock Shox Domains – Any good?
  • PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Toying with upping the travel on the front of the Pitch. It's rated for 160mm, but Lyriks and Fox 36s are a bit on the salty side price wise, but used Domains can be picked up quite cheaply these days it seems.
    I'd get coil ones too.

The main question I have is are they nice and supple and sensitive?

SOme cheaper forks suffer with bas stiction, and I'd not want to loose the feeling of the Pikes.

Not bothered about weight in the slightest

🙂

TheDoog
    Free Member

Was toying with buying some myself but i think at 180mm it may be a bit too much travel, nice price herethough!

chakaping
    Free Member

The 318s have motion control and basically ride like a Pike on steroids.

Seem really bombproof as well.

No stiction on mine, and the steel stanchions seemed much tougher than the alu ones on more pricey forks.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You can get 115-160mm U-turns…. 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

No stiction on mine, and the steel stanchions seemed much tougher than the alu ones on more pricey forks.

That's what I'm looking for. 🙂 Thanks for that
    It's the chrome steel I'm wary of basically…..Always seems to be on cheap forks that don't really work!

TheDoog
    Free Member

You mean these little fellas

jonk
    Free Member

I have the 09 180mm 318 on my patriot they are really good very plush, no flex make massive hits easy. The motion control really helps on the ups. Essentially they are a big pike. I paid £299 at winstanleys bargain!

ahwiles
    Free Member

the chrome steel stanchions are very durable.

think of domains as cheaper/heavier lyriks, without the separate high/lowspeed compression damping, which is pointless anyway if you don't know what it does.

i'm very happy with mine.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Doog – Yes those ones

Ahwiles, cheers, sounds good to me.

Another question – Are the disc mounts post or IS please?

ahwiles
    Free Member

post.

will
    Free Member

Yup 🙂 I love mine. I have the 08 ones when they first came out and they have lasted well, U-turn is very useful on mine!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

post.

Ahh. What rotor size fits if you don't have an adaptor and just screw the caliper straight on?

frepster
    Free Member

I had some on a Bullit and want expecting much to be honest, but they are suprisingly capable and very reliable too. Defo no stiction issues for me

I dont know what spring they ship with but I had to run mine with the compression damping off all the time and even being 90Kg and riding Whistler bike park every day I was never bottoming them out.

DrP

Pete…..
    See here…..

DrP

TheDoog
    Free Member

I think most forks can fit 160 rotors without an adaptor, i could be wrong though!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

DrP

Thanks for the link

I'm going to keep an eye on the prices, and work out what my Pikes are worth first, al least. I reckon I can possibly do a straight swap, money wise….

chakaping
    Free Member

What rotor size fits if you don't have an adaptor and just screw the caliper straight on?

160mm

Shameless plug for other readers: If anyone wants a cheapy cheap NEW Domain 302 (180mm fixed travel w/tapered steerer) you could do worse than look here.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Doog – Looks like I'll need an adaptor as well then. I'm running a 203mm front brake. 8)

GlennG
    Free Member

Got a pair of the 318 versions on my Rocky Mountain Switch 2, very plush. Got a 'basic' 180mm set without the motion control for £75 if anybody wants them, in very good condition with only a bit of cable rub on the crown.

TheDoog
    Free Member

Adaptors are less than a tenner these days. Maybe less than a fiver on the bay!!!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Glenn, YGM mate! 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Adaptors are less than a tenner these days. Maybe less than a fiver on the bay!!!

Yeah, I know they re cheap, I was just thinking out loud really. 🙂

VanHalen

there is a mod to stop them spiking. 318`s that is.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

What's the mod? 🙂

akira

Been very impressed with my 318 U-Turns, bit weighty but good performance, the lowers are the same as Lyriks but obviously the internals and uppers are different.
    Selling mine now but only because I got some Lyriks.

GW
    Free Member

SOme cheaper forks suffer with bas stiction, and I'd not want to loose the feeling of the Pikes.

Pikes are totally out of their depth for what you can ride like on a bike like the Pitch IMO (but then so is the shock)

personally I'd rather stick a 170mm Boxxer (to allow fine tuning of HA & BB height)and a van RC on. but it's still slightly too steep for how good a Mini DH bike it could be.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

GW – Never gonna happen I'm afraid. I simply don't have the cash or the need for it. Given my choice I'd put a coil Lyrik or a 36 Vanilla R on it, just to jack the front up a bit, but that's £350 secondhand, for a bike I use a few times a year, and that's simply not worth it.

I agree with you though, spot on. 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

Ive got some 302 180mm fixed jobs on my new BigHit. I agree they are just a big Pike with chrome stanchions. I've changed the spring and they seem fine , a bit harsh compared to my Marzocchiz and to Lyrics but they aint got the internals to be all fancy pants. Mine came with preload spacers which are easy to fit.

I may swap them for some older 66s at some point but will see.

I_Ache
    Free Member

GW

Funny you should suggest that. I quite liked the look of some u-turn boxxers for my pitch that way it will always be suitable. And they are probably lighter than my 66s.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Rock Shox Domains – Any good?’ is closed to new replies.