Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Rock Razor vs Racing Ralph
  • roverpig

I’ve read various reviews about the Rock Razor that talk about the minimal tread in the centre, but I’m coming from a Racing Ralph. Is the centre tread on the Rock Razor actually any lower profile than a Ralph, or is it just low compared with more aggressive tyres (e.g. Hans Dampf etc)?

damascus
    Free Member

As far as I see it, it’s a racing Ralph in the middle and a nobby nic round the edge. The edges only come into play when you hit a corner or go through mud etc.

It’s the best of both worlds but not as grippy as a nic or as fast as a Ralph.

My friends have run them all year and have just changed them. They said once you try them you will never use a Ralph or rocket Ron ever again.

I’ll be trying them out next year.

mattyfez

The price though 😛

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dirtyrider
    Free Member
    sharkattack

I wanted to buy some Schwalbe tyres but I don’t have an Enigma machine to understand exactly the hell I’m looking at. Their range is like a phone book.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Rock Razors are great on most things & surprising in mud as long as you’re running low pressures.
    Completely useless to the point of frightening & funny at the same time on wet grass though!
    More Magic Mary on the sides than NN I would say & generally a heavier duty tyre.
    I’ve been running one since early May on the rear, but now swapped for a Hans Damph.

mattyfez

If you go to the schwalbe website, they have a tyre choosing tool which is helpful.

beano68
    Free Member

Still running my Rock Razor even with all the mud around but I’ll be changing back to the Hans Damph

roverpig

Thanks folks. I was concerned by the reports of a lack of braking grip, but since I’m using Ralphs at the moment it doesn’t sound as though they’ll be any worse.

I’ve got a Nic lying around in the shed, so I’ll probably stick that on for winter and save the Rock Razor until Spring, although CRC seem to have the 29er at a decent price at the moment.

Northwind

I went with the Slaughter to do the same job- cheaper, and apparently wears a bit better. Same deal though. Great fun, in soft mud the side knobs touch down fine so you still get a decent amount of grip, but in slick mud on harder stuff (like you get when it rains a bit in a dry spell) it’s like riding on grease. Til you lean the bike over, then the knobs dig in and it hooks up and the wheel goes in whatever direction it’s pointing 😆

Not for everyone I think but does exactly what it’s supposed to

reggiegasket
    Free Member

+1 Razor is a good tyre and only struggles in proper mud/loam. If you look at the tread you’d think it would be rubbish but it grips well, and is pretty tough too.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Was found wanting during a day in Calderdale, split 3 times, not impressed, gone to a WTB Trail Boss

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Rock Razor vs Racing Ralph’ is closed to new replies.