Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Rock Lobster team tig SL
  • DAVE66
    Free Member

Anybody own one of the Easton alloy Lobsters? how does it ride, would you recommend? Had a look at one at Merlin today and thought it was pretty nice and right for my needs.
    Torn between the 853 and Easton but like the look of the alloy frame more.

mboy
    Free Member

Ally may look cooler/nicer, but 853 steel will almost certainly ride nicer.

I’ve owned a few alloy hardtails, and disliked pretty much all of them. By contrast, my new 853 Genesis Altitude is a total revelation, it’s so much fun!

Of course not everyone will share my sentiments, but I know more who will sing the virtues of a good steel frame over an ally one, than the other way round.

Oggles
    Free Member

I ordered the Alloy one, but ended up getting an 853 because they had run out of my size by the time it was being built up. But I couldn’t be happier, and actually glad of their mistake. Have always ridden on aluminium bikes, and after riding this for the last 3 months, I’ll be sticking with steel for my hardtails in the future =)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    snoopdog
    Free Member

Have had a Rock Lobster team tig SL for 18 months now. Full XT, Rebas & Thompson post & stem. Its very, very quick, great on singletrack but when the going gets tough is doesn’t arf beat you up. Very unforgiving.

If i had my time again i’d go back to steel and get the 853 as i’m riding mostly in Wales at the moment….

poppa
    Free Member

I think the alloy ones are 40% off at the moment, if that’s any help.

Jamie
    Free Member

When i went down to Merlin to get my lobster a couple of years back, i had the intention of getting the Al framed version. After riding both i ended up getting the 853, even tho i did and still prefer the look of the black ally frame.

DAVE66
    Free Member

Thanks, all very helpful.

I think the 853 is the better choice for the riding I do if I’m honest with myself.
    I’m a mechanical engineer so I know all the benefits of “good” steel frames and have owned frames made from both materials over the years but it was specifically this frame I was curious to get some opinions on.
    I believe the sizing goes from BB centre to Top of seat tube on all Merlins, which would make me probably a 17″ having a 31″ inside leg. Does this agree with what you are all riding?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Another Rock Lobster thread!

Are they the ‘new On-Ones’? 🙄

Love my 853, if it’s any help. Although I’ve heard that bigger/heavier riders find them a little flexy, as they are one of the lightest 853 frames about. But light weight suits me!

snoopdog
    Free Member

@DAVE66 agree – i’m 5’11” with a 31″ leg and ride a 17″

DAVE66
    Free Member

I think these have been around a tad longer than on-ones 🙂
    (I also like On-Ones by the way)
    Am I a total sheep?? having a Ribble road bike… a Pitch and now a Lobster too!!!! 😯
    The Lobster will be in good company!
    I’m 12 stone so should be ok at that I think.
    17″ sounds good then nothing worse than riding a gate.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Rock Lobster team tig SL’ is closed to new replies.