Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rochdale Riding
  • paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’m on the move again, from South Manchester to North. I know some of the stuff around the Rochdale area, but I don’t know that much that goes straight out of the door.

Does anyone have any good routes for me?

Cheers

binners

You can head straight out of Rochdale, up Rooley Moor Road to Cragg Quarry and over to Lee

Try popping into Cycle Addicts (Red Brook Mill, Bury Road ). I think they do shop rides on Thursday Nights, but he’s a nice bloke who runs it, who I’m sure wound be able to fill you in, better than me

If you drop us a mail, I can keep you posted when we’re out locally

RustySpanner

Where abouts are you moving to? There’s just so much to go at.
    Cragg & Lee Quarries over the moor, over Hollingworth Lake, all of Calderdale, windfarms & Rammy, which leads to the Bury stuff, Mary Townley Loop etc.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Live in Rochdale & do most of my riding from my front door. Plenty of stuff to find, buy a copy of OS21 Explorer and have a play. Happy to show you stuff as well.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Where abouts in Rochdale are you , there are bits of trail up through Syke common that will take you up to the corner of Healey Dell , you can pick ip old railway line that takes you up to whitworth and a climb to the left on to lee quarry , or you can take a bridleway to the right up to watergrove and on to brown wardle etc

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

I’ll be just South of Healey Dell. This is going to be ace isn’t it!

binners

The short answer… yes.

If you’re just south of Healey Dell, then this is the route up Rooley Moor Road over to Cragg Quarry. Otherwise know as my commute home 😀

Untitled by binlidski, on Flickr

You could basically nip out for a quick lap of Cragg Quarry any time you fancy. Its on your doorstep

MadBillMcMad
    Gribs

Below is a reasonable loop up from Shawclough to Watergrove Res and back. There’s plenty of variations around Brown Wardle and Watergrove too.

http://app.strava.com/activities/24999696

ir_bandito
    Free Member

you want to meet up with the Industrial Fell Bikers
    I used to have to visit Milnrow quite a bit with a previous job, and really enjoyed escaping Travel Lodge hell to go riding.

binners

To continue the illutrated theme, the view from windy hill looking down towards Hollingworth Lake of an evening….

Jamie on windy hill by binlidski, on Flickr

Before 2 absolutely belting descents

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Born & bred in Rochdale, and although it hurts to say it most of it is a shithole.
    However, it does have some nice parts and it is surrounded by beautiful Pennine hills that are thick with trails and paths (ahem!)

Even in the current conditions there are always trails to play on, Cragg and Lee Quarries are straight up the hill from my house and Watergrove, Hollingworth Lake etc are are less than 5 miles away on the canal. Lots of interconnecting routes that can take you to Calderdale, The Peak etc. More than happy to show anyone around 🙂

P.S. Nice shot there Binners 🙂

RustySpanner

However, it does have some nice parts and it is surrounded by beautiful Pennine hills that are thick with trails and paths (ahem!)

I go on ONE ride with you and run into the bloke from the papershop whilst negotiating and area of outstandingly cheeky natural naughtiness. 😀

Some people are just a bad influence.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

It’s a nack i have 🙂 Once went to Cairo, almost the first person i met in a city of 18 million people was a mate from Rochdale – who turned out to be my tour guide! 😆

binners

Is it an exchange thing? Can we get Egyptian guides over Blackstone Edge? 😉

globalti
    Free Member

You could get in touch with Ian Donohoe, he’s a mine of information on the area.

His website is interesting and worth a look: http://www.idonohoe.com/

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rochdale Riding’ is closed to new replies.