Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Robin Hoods Bay / Whitby / Scarborough Sustrans Route
  • matthewlhome
    Free Member

I am off on holiday to Robin Hoods Bay and see there is a nice traffic free cycle route.

Can anyone tell me what the surface is like?

Want to take my 1yr old out on the bike seat and also wondering if i really need to take a mountain bike and if she will manage fine on my wifes hybrid bike?

Oh – and any other good places to visit round there with a little un?

Ta

bazookajoe
    Free Member

We’ve holidayed at the Bay the last few summers and will do again this year. There’s cycle hire and maps just off the main road at Hawsker before Robin Hoods Bay which is probably your best bet to start: Trailways

It’s got info on the Whitby to Scarborough coastal rail trail (on old railway funnily enough) so I’d imagine it’s not too rough. Not done it though so can’t say for certain. Our youngest was 1 when we first took first there, will be 4 in summer this year and she loves it and can’t wait to go back.

Lots of nice walks to do – along the cliff path to cafe at Boggle Hole youth hostel, then back along the beach is a fave of ours.
    Falling Foss Tea Garden does great cream teas and is a nice wander through the trees for all ages.
    Crab fishing in Whitby harbour.
    Messing about on the beach at Robin Hoods Bay, Whitby, Scarborough.
    Peasholm park in Scarborough for general park fun, swans, dragon boat rides.
    Playdale Farm Park not far from Scarborough.
    Further afield is Flamingo Land though we reckon it’s too costly.
    Not that far from Dalby Forest.
    North Yorkshire Moors Steam Railway is nice (though wasn’t impressed with Goathland where they film Heartbeat, Grosmont was much nicer).

Suppose it also depends what kind of holiday you want. We liked to explore and relax and found it perfect.

Oh and there’s a great chippy in Robin Hoods Bay, and ice cream, and highly recommend Hadley’s chippy in Whitby.

When are you going?

matthewlhome
    Free Member

tomorrow 🙂

Thanks for that. Always good to have places recommended. I havent been for about 20 years when on a school trip, so my memory of the place is a little hazy to say the least.

bazookajoe
    Free Member

Ah your lucky. This community site has a couple of webcams looking over the bay and some other local info.

Can’t wait until summer now.

Hope you have a fab time, do post back and say how it went – I’m sad like that.

You can pick up a booklet of local walks in the shops there, and when the tide’s out you can always wander round northwards to see the wreck of the Sarb-J

midlifecrashes

Boggle Hole beach is good for fossil hunting too, legal to take any you find that aren’t in the actual cliff or bedrock. Easy to find at least bits of ammonite and plenty of whole ones turn up.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Update – the Sustrans path is fine cinder gravel. Has a gentle slope to it in places but pretty good really. Was a little chilly for a long ride, but would be easy enough to get into Whitby with a pub/ break stop and back.

Sealife centre in Scarborough was a good bad weather visit, although a little pricy.

Also managed to find a few bridleways to ride in the area so everyone happy 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Robin Hoods Bay / Whitby / Scarborough Sustrans Route’ is closed to new replies.