Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Roberto Martinez
  • loddrik
    Free Member

I am struggling to see what all the fuss is about Martinez and how he is supposedly such a good and desirable manager. I really feel sorry for Everton if they appoint him as their next manager, every year at Wigan they were involved in the relegation scrap, ok he won the FA cup, but any team can go on a cup run, the league position is the true barometer and it seldom lies. He will probably have less to spend at Everton than he did at Wigan and that would worry the hell out of me if I were an Everton fan (am a Liverpool fan but as a scouser like to see Everton doing well too).

toxicsoks
    Free Member

+ 1.Don’t understand why RM, nice bloke that he is, is considered so highly.

ransos
    Free Member

Could be worse – Mark Hughes is going to Stoke.

Mackem

Hugely over-rated. His chairman is always bigging him up and the press seem to prefer foreign coaches for some reason.

binners

He reminds me of Kevin Keegan. He plays good attacking football, but doesn’t appear to know what a defense is for. That might work a bit better at Everton than Wigan. Everton are a far better squad. So maybe 17th in the table, instead of relegation 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

His record at wigan is no better or worse than Steve Bruce or Paul Jewell

I also dont understand it either if he was a great manager then they would be a good team instead of always struggling

Essentially if you want to see a crap team play football you would choose wigan rather than say the physicality of Stoke or the Long Ball of West Ham.

can he do it with some proper players … It will be interesting to see.

timc
    Free Member

Also a Liverpool fan so obviously its quite a hot topic in the office at the moment!

Question for you, who better could Everton appoint?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Daglish 😉

loddrik
    Free Member

Everton might have been the only non rich club to have tempted Rafa due to him wanting to stay put. Don’t know who Everton could go for now, I worry for them due to the financial constraints and Moyes was truly a miracle worker with the resources they had. I can’t see anyone replicating that. They need serious investment now more than at any time in the last 10 years or they are going to fall away.

If I were an Everton fan I’d be hoping they go for Poyet.

loddrik
    Free Member

Double post

timc
    Free Member

Everton have spent more than wigan in last 5 years & net spend is pretty much identical.

Poyet / Martinez, equal gamble for me, don’t think you could really say Poyet is a ‘better’ choice though…

Rafa obviously not a realistic option, He was always looking for top europea jobs with money.

Mackem

Everton will be a good job for most managers. Not a lot of money but a good squad and the money restrictions will be eased by the inevitable sale of Fellaini.

Someone like Di Matteo might be a good choice.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Junky I do hope your not trying to say West Ham play crap footy 😉 considering we finished 10th and all this season.

RM is a good manager as he always seems to survive when there are no funds going into the club, like Moyes in that respect hence the interest from the toffees.

portlyone

Martinez did well at Swansea, laid the basis for Rodgers and Laudrup

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junky I do hope your not trying to say West Ham play crap footy considering we finished 10th and all this season.

His style used to divide rovers season ticket holders but I suspect not any more 😉

MSP

RM has 1 more trophy than Moyes ever got. 😉

The problem RM always had was keeping hold of decent players, much more so than Everton. Everton is a more prestigious club, even if RM spent the same, I wonder how the Evertan and Wigan wage bills compare.

And to be fair to Allardyce, at Bolton he did build on the direct approach and added a bit more guile and skill when he had the chance.

ransos
    Free Member

RM has 1 more trophy than Moyes ever got.

Moyes won the Div 2 title… he’s never been relegated, either.

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Question for you, who better could Everton appoint?

Neil Warnock? *runs away* 😉

MSP

Moyes won the Div 2 title… he’s never been relegated, either.

Martinez won the league one title.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Tbh I’ve never understood the love for Martinez. It will be interesting to see him at a club with more expectations than just premier league survival. He seems like a straight up decent bloke though so I hope he does well.

*skims thread to see if usual culprits use a footie thread to have a pop*
    Disappointingly predictable. 😐

OmarLittle
    Free Member

He laid the foundations for Rodgers success at Swansea and keeping Wigan up for as long as he did was a good achievement considering he usually started the season having lost a couple of key players each year and having to forge a new team.

Everton dont have a huge budget but their wage bill is about nearly £70 million a year whereas Wigans is under £40 million…that is a pretty big difference.

Junkyard
    Free Member

skims thread to see if usual culprits use a footie thread to have a pop*
    Disappointingly predictable

You keep wearing that hair shirt and labouring the point

I think you are the only person to see this never mind moan about it

PiknMix
    Free Member

None of the muppets have thrown the term “wendyball” about!, is this a STW turning point?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

*observes predictable reaction when it’s pointed out*

Junkyard
    Free Member

me to

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

One day you’ll grow out of it…

Anyway, about Robert Martinez…

trailmoggy
    Free Member

As I a Wigan fan I feel I should contribute…..before I start I should add that he is one of the nicest people in football, always has been from when he came from Spain all those years ago to play for us.

How people ask what all the fuss is about on here seems a little silly, he’s well regarded as one of the best young coaches by some of the top men in football.

At Wigan he did qiute well, the players he lost over the summer, Moses, Rodallegga Diamme, do make a massive dent in our sqaud, and they’re aren’t big funds available to replace them. As soon as he got here all the big earners followed Bruce to Sunderland, so it was obvious that he needed to reduce the wage bill.

He is a builder and has brought in some superb signings like Alcaraz, Mcarthy, Mcarthur, Malony, Kone aswell as the the now departed Diame, Moses all on a really tight budget, and we have some fantastic young players coming through a lot have been on loan in the lower divisions.

Tactically he was a little inept and part of the problem was half the players we have just aren’t good enough to play the wants to play football week in week out, we could be so frustrating to watch as we either looked like Brazil or a pub team and its not easy when buying a season ticket your only going to see your team win 5-6 home games if your lucky a season.

Wigan did hold him back slightly in my view as he was given the time and trust but never the funds to really push the football club on like he would have liked, but he will never find a set of fans or a chairman as supportive an forgiving as Wigan.

Personally I think he owed the fans promotion, four years ago he took over a premier league club and now we are in the championship, we’ve had dreadful luck with injurys this year our back line was depleted, but they knew this in January.

Good luck to him and he has won us something they can never take off us.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Neil Warnock? *runs away*

+1

MOT

martinhutch

Harry Redknapp, shurely?

All this just illustrates the dearth of managerial talent in the English game, and by implication, the relative lack of footballing intelligence in English league top and middle-flight career players, since this, mostly, is where the small pool of our managers comes from.

So you just get the likes of Bruce, Hughes being endlessly recycled and effectively immune from their own mediocrity.

When you get a half-decent, and personable guy like Martinez come along, the press and chairmen go overboard on it, even if he’s not actually much different to Alan Pardew in terms of talent.

boxelder

Mick McCarthey (mainly cos I want his interviews back on MOTD)

ransos
    Free Member

How people ask what all the fuss is about on here seems a little silly, he’s well regarded as one of the best young coaches by some of the top men in football.

He took you backwards in the PL, going from being a club that was establishing itself to one that flirted with relegation every year. Whilst the budget is a problem, net spend isn’t any less than Everton. Given the fairly low standard of the PL this year, third from bottom is a poor show, and I thought his response to questions about relegation was pure arrogance.

I’d also say that Moyes’s record at turning Preston NE around is more impressive that Martinez at Swansea, which was more a case of building on the solid foundations laid by Flynn and Jackett.

binners

All this just illustrates the dearth of managerial talent in the English game, and by implication, the relative lack of footballing intelligence in English league top and middle-flight career players, since this, mostly, is where the small pool of our managers comes from.

Indeed. I didn’t bother watching it myself (life’s too short), but I gather that ****ing useless bunch of thoroughly unpleasant, overpaid prima donna’s our fantastic national squad gave their usual display of completely shambolic, tactical cluelessness assured attacking football, guided by another third-rater, playing a naive formation that hasn’t changed since 1966 their astute managers eye for tactical flair, and creative playmaking

😆

ransos
    Free Member

Thing is, binners, nothing will change as long as the PL is organised for the benefit of the clubs, and not the national side. I rather get the impression that an England cap is of secondary importance to the players. Compare and contrast to the Bundesliga…

binners

Agreed. When standards in German national football dipped from their expected excellence, the powers that be invested massively in youth programmes and developing young players coming through. And making the coaching of those players more professional. And just look at the results

All the FA are interested in is flogging TV rights, and some more corporate hospitality packages at Wembley

What doesn’t appear to have occurred to them is that there’s a tipping point where people will no longer pay to watch such hopeless, shambolic drivel. I’d rather watch a Mid-table championship match than England. Anyone who pays good money to watch that crap needs their head examining IMHO

timc
    Free Member

Echo that Binners, You would have to be absolutely mental to pay £75 odd to watch England, Plus travel costs, digs etc

Championship is far more entertaining & alot of games will have a better atmosphere

Wonder if those who claimed Hodgson was a good appointment & Liverpool didnt give him a fair crack want to show their face this morning???

ransos
    Free Member

What doesn’t appear to have occurred to them is that there’s a tipping point where people will no longer pay to watch such hopeless, shambolic drivel. I’d rather watch a Mid-table championship match than England. Anyone who pays good money to watch that crap needs their head examining IMHO

It’s already happening – just look at the age of those attending matches (PL as well as England), there’s no new blood coming in.

That said, I did see some utter dross in the championship last year, and it’s still more than you’d pay to watch Bayern Munich.

trailmoggy
    Free Member

ransos……he was never given the funds he needed to push the club on, he wanted to biuld an accademy and such like……every top earner had to go when he arrived and we are powerless to keep hold of our best players so its a constant battle

I agree third form bottom is a poor show but the injurys we’ve had would cripple any team but as I said he knew the is in January.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Roberto Martinez’ is closed to new replies.