• This topic has 76 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Robert Plant, is it just me?
  • failedengineer

…. or should he hang his mike up for good?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Who’s Mike?

zippykona

I’m quite liking the one they play on 6.
    Not many people from his era still making decent music.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    seosamh77
    Free Member

Seems an extreme course of action, what did Mike do to deserve that?

darrell
    Free Member

it’s you

BlobOnAStick

It’s you.

But there are the occasional moments when he sings one of the Led Zep back catalogue when I think that he’s pushing it a bit.

I like that they have adapted those songs though, and I suspect that’s both to bring it in line with the other stuff they are playing and to accomodate his voice.

bikebouy
    Free Member

It’s you, leave him alone.

DezB
    Free Member

He can do what he likes, I ain’t listening.

hodgynd
    Free Member

No ..its not just you !
    Lost all interest after hearing his “country ” album with Alison Krauss..what a crock of crap that was and wouldn’t know what he has produced since..

teasel
    Free Member

I still have issues with burning down one side if I’m too hasty and don’t pay attention…

failedengineer

Watched him on the Jools Holland show last night. I’ve seen better pub rock singers.

edlong
    Free Member

I don’t think there’s a single thing I’ve heard of his post-Zep that I’ve liked much but then I haven’t followed his post-Zep career at all closely. I’m aware of “Big Log” (hate it) and I heard him on Jools Holland with Alison Krauss (hated that too, but then I’ve never liked country..)

On the other hand, no one’s forcing me to listen to whatever it is he decides to do now or next, so I don’t really find it necessary to take a stance on whether he should or shouldn’t do it.

whitestone
    Free Member

Much as I like Led Zep I find his solo stuff a bit hit and miss. I saw his set at Glastonbury and thought that was good but not into C&W so didn’t get the Alison Krauss stuff.

At least he’s not just touring with an ersatz Led Zep.

hodgynd
    Free Member

That’s fair comment edlong..just a shame to see such a rock icon fall into such decline ..mind you what is a whole lot worse is someone who had zero talent actually believing they were gods gift ..
    Please welcome to the stage Sir Bob Geldof …

zippykona

Or Ray Davis and macca.

johnx2
    Free Member

clue’s in the title

Edukator
    Free Member

He still does what he does well enough. While there’s an audience for it good luck to him.

tewit
    Free Member

Led Zeppelin was a bit before my time and his other stuff passed me by but I thought he was excellent on 6 music the other day. So no he shouldn’t hang Mike.

funkmasterp

I’ll probably get grief for this, I don’t even like Led Zep.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Led Zeppelin was a bit before my time and his other stuff passed me by but I thought he was excellent on 6 music the other day.

His mixtape though…jeez! 😡

kayla1
    Free Member

I had to turn over when he was on 6, I hate it when they get a ‘legend’ in and fawn all over them for the following two weeks. Meh. I don’t like Led Zeppelin either.

oafishb
    Free Member

He is very amusing when interviewed though.

tewit
    Free Member

His mixtape though…jeez!

Yeah. The wife wasn’t keen on that either.
    “You listen to some weird shit you do” 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Another reminder of why I can’t stand 6 Music. Cheers. 🙂

mrsheen
    Free Member

This one’s going out to FailedEngineer. Feel free to swoooooooooooon…. 8)

bigrich

he’s ok. you can hear in his voice all the things he’s done to it if you listen to the old/new versions.

hodgynd
    Free Member

It’s ok not to like Led Zep.
    I just feel sorry for people like Funkmaster & DezB who didn’t get to live through the golden era of the 70’s..and have to stomach the utter drivel that’s churned out these days 😆

JoB
    Free Member

as an aside, Alison Krauss would probably give anyone a decent punch in the face for calling her Country and Western

13thfloormonk

Lost all interest after hearing his “country ” album with Alison Krauss

It’s called ‘Raising Sand’, it was OK, I’d already been ‘turned’ by listening to a lot of Townes Van Zandt, so was intrigued by their cover of ‘Nothing’ which was actually OK and very different (and very NOT C&W).

The cover of Polly was also really well done, really different to the original while still recognisable. The original is waaay more C&W than the Plant and Krauss version.

My wife likes one of the other songs (Please Read the Letter) but it’s pretty much straight down the road C&W so yeah, if that’s not your scene then give it a miss.

Basically, even if Raising Sand was just a vanity project, it’s a worthwhile listen if your tastes run that way.

Edit: playing fast and loose with definition of C&W above, when does C&W become Folk become Americana?

teasel
    Free Member

Alison Krauss would probably give anyone a decent punch in the face for calling her Country and Western

You write say that but it would more than likely end up as just a blow to the chest.

DezB
    Free Member

I did live through the 70s.
    I feel sorry for people who hark back to a “golden era” and have lost interest in discovering new music, referring to it all as utter drivel. Saddest thing I can imagine really. lolZ

hodgynd
    Free Member

I listen to plenty of new music through my 14 year old son and his musical tastes as he takes control of the in car entertainment system ..I also listen to a lot of upcoming new bands ..music will always play a big part in my life ..Ive made a good living from working a good portion of my life within the industry ( not as a musician ) both as a record company rep & later as a Regional Sales Manager for a major distribution company on behalf of all the major labels distributing chart , mid-price & budget material before the advent of online music killed that part of the industry ..
    What’s your story ? 😆

onehundredthidiot

It’s why I love and hate 6music in equal measure. Great for finding new music that works for me. But the radio2 dj humour/chat and the fawning interviews and cerys Matthews, wtf is she drivelling on about?

DezB
    Free Member

What’s your story ?

I love music and don’t see any era as ‘golden’ over any other. But well done on being jaded by your career choice 😆

hodgynd
    Free Member

Jaded ? 😆
    What part of ” I listen to plenty of new music ” did you not understand ..?
    Seriously though just because you ” love music ” ..that makes your opinion more relevant does it ..thats really funny !
    By the way if you look back at my “drivel” post you may find that I ended it with a ” lol “…I was wondering if anyone would bite ….

DezB
    Free Member

Which opinion?

It’s quite funny that you don’t know what an opinion is.

Ah! you’re the one who rates Roachford! That’s all I need to know 😆

hodgynd
    Free Member

” The saddest thing that you can imagine ” ..would be an opinion .
    ..Yep I thought Roachford was good when he blew the Stranglers away at the Simple Minds gig …You were the one who thought the Stranglers were better than Simple Minds ..laughable !
    By the way that’s another opinion 😉

keithd
    Free Member

Back on topic, as a Zeppelin fan of many years I am not a huge fan of Plants solo stuff but at least he has moved on and is doing new things, whereas Jimmy Page sits in his studio re-mastering all the old stuff. Read somewhere he is doing the Yardbirds stuff now-Jeez!

jonnyboi

I hope he releases a duet with Lily Allen about brexit.

nickc

Live music always has something to give, listened to all the maida Vale sessions on 6music and I thought they were all worth a go.

Plant still seems to be giving it some.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Robert Plant, is it just me?’ is closed to new replies.